Crocheting exhibit weaves in mental health issues with art

Artist Heather Hoskins gathers all the yarn she’s using for her crochet project to a single point through a handmade table at the Lakeview Gallery Feb. 24 on NW Campus. Photos by Brooke Baldwin/The Collegian

By Lissette Salgado/campus editor

Anyone who’s done crochet before knows how much time, effort and resources it takes to complete a single project, especially juggling multiple projects simultaneously.

Crocheting is a part of art portrayed by artist Heather Hoskins at the Lakeview Gallery. Each piece is created with nude-colored fibers, all representing the nature of the body and mind plagued by Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). 

As a person afflicted with BDD, Hoskins creates her abstract art to portray the exaggerations people with the condition experience. 

“For me, crocheting is a process of healing,” said Hoskins. 

The gallery was decorated with not only her artwork but two walls, opposite from each other, had a reflective cover put up that distorted the reflection of everything. Videos of her working on previous pieces were projected on a wall and clusters of crocheted pompoms, varied in number and size, represented how people with BDD viewed skin tags or moles as unforeseeable growths.

NW associate professor of arts Fred Spaulding helped organize the event, introducing the artist to his class and other students present in the gallery.

“The point of it is to just open people’s minds to possibilities,” said Spaulding. “Because, in the beginning, our sense of what is possible is kind of limited by what we’ve seen happen before.”

Angie Hoskins, her mother, was in the gallery to support Hoskins by taking photos and conversing with observers interested in her artworks.

She said that she finds her daughter’s art interesting and amazing to look at.

Hoskins worked on a large art piece in the middle of the gallery, allowing students to observe her as she progressed in the piece. One end of the piece hung from the ceiling while the other was propped on a handmade table.

Hoskins uses a large crochet hook to create a piece of art representing Body Dysmorphic Disorder as a way of coping with this having this disorder.