Dallas comes to Fort Worth

By Kenney Kost and Anderson Colemon/editor-in-chief and tr news editor

The fictional Ewing family will head west of Southfork Ranch when the TNT series Dallas comes to TR Campus to film some scenes. Producers of the show asked TCC officials permission to transform the Rotunda into a federal building due to filming restrictions in actual federal buildings.  Collegian file photo
The fictional Ewing family will head west of Southfork Ranch when the TNT series Dallas comes to TR Campus to film some scenes. Producers of the show asked TCC officials permission to transform the Rotunda into a federal building due to filming restrictions in actual federal buildings. Collegian file photo
Dallas revolves around the Ewings, a fictional Texas oil family who owns Southfork Ranch. J.R. Ewing’s business schemes are the show’s trademark.  Photo courtesy TNT
Dallas revolves around the Ewings, a fictional Texas oil family who owns Southfork Ranch. J.R. Ewing’s business schemes are the show’s trademark. Photo courtesy TNT

The famous Ewing family is coming to TR Campus.

Producers of the television series Dallas will transform TR’s Rotunda into a federal building to shoot various scenes Oct. 22 for an upcoming episode.

Due to security measures, filming is prohibited in actual federal buildings, so the producers of the show approached TCC officials about filming on TR, said director of public relations and marketing Suzanne Cottraux.

“Ours is prettier anyway,” she said during the Oct. 10 board of trustees meeting when the filming was announced. “So they are going to cover all of our logos and film in the Rotunda. And, I hope nobody is getting shot or anything, but something is happening on the seventh floor of the parking garage as well.”

TCC will receive a usage fee for its trouble, Cottraux said, although how much isn’t clear.

The producers are even allowing some from TCC to be extras in the scenes, she said.

“We’ve got 21 slots, which is exactly the number of CELT and board of trustees members, that they have allowed to be on-screen extras,” she said.

TR Campus president Tahita Fulkerson said faculty, staff and students are pleased the show is coming to the campus.

“Suzanne [Cottraux] is coordinating the details of the filming, but TR Campus is happy that our campus appeals to the production team of the series,” she said.

Dallas is a television series that currently airs on TNT. This version of the series has run for three years while the original, which aired on CBS, ran from 1978 to 1991.

The original show is famous for its cliffhangers, in particular the 1980 “Who Shot J.R.?” episode, which remains the second-highest-rated prime-time telecast ever, according to IMDB.