Dance companies come together for art

October 2, 2019 | Elyssa Gideon | campus editor
Photo by Johnathan Johnson/The Collegian. The NE Movers Unlimited dance company performs a hip-hop routine during the collaborative Converge Dance Concert on Sept. 26 in Sundance Square.

South, SE, NE and NW campus dance companies came together to provide a show for patrons in Sundance Square for the Converge: District Dance Companies and Cameos Dance Concert on Sept. 26.

“It was a true collaboration of artists coming together in the heart of Fort Worth,” said Amy Jennings, NW associate professor of dance.

According to Jennings, the concert showcased 13 dance works with a total of 105 performers. The performers were not all from TCC, but also were students from local performing arts high schools.

Jackeline Tijerina, a dancer with South Campus’ Continuum Dance said her passion started even before high school.

“I asked around and found out TCC had a dance company,” Tijerina said. “They accept all fitness levels, body types and backgrounds and I wasn’t going to go to a university if they wouldn’t let me dance.”

Arturo Leos, a dancer with NW Campus’ Mosaic Dance Project, also chose his dance company based on the level of inclusion.

“I went to Mosaic Dance’s High School Dance Day every year and I was inspired to join,” Leos said. “I saw the love they had for each other and their passion.”

Nelly Garza,  a dancer with NE Campus’ Movers Unlimited, had contact with her current dance company before starting at TCC.

“I met my dance teacher in high school and he changed everything for me,” Garza said. “He was actually in the company that I am in now.”

Although these dancers enjoy what they do, it couldn’t come together without a lot of hard work.

“It’s constant dancing the entire day, from 11 a.m.-10 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, with 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for dinner,” Garza said.

At times, the work put in by the students can involve getting together on their own time to ensure the success of the event.

“They really took it upon themselves to get in during open rehearsals and rehearse,” said Brandy Niccolai-Belfi, SE associate professor of dance.

Leos and Tijerina said their favorite part of performing is sharing their routine and passion with the audience. However, Garza’s highlight isn’t from the performance.

“My favorite part is the three-to-four minutes before going on stage where we get in a circle, talk and tell each other ‘we got this’ and just to go out on stage and be happy,” Garza said.

Niccolai-Belfi enjoys seeing the collaboration since the companies are normally separate.

“Seeing all the TCC dance programs collaborate, seeing what other faculty and students are doing, really collaborating as one college,” Niccolai-Belfi said.