Deadline for FAFSA has students racing

By Raven Posteal/reporter

Many students miss out on financial aid every year because they fill out the Free Application for Student Aid late. 

The last day to fill out the FAFSA for fall is May 1. After that date, students may not be eligible for financial aid for any TCC campus.

For most students 21 or younger, their parents must complete the FAFSA form on their behalf because of rules set in place by FAFSA.

FAFSA applications help garner assistance for classes.

“My mother filled out the FAFSA form for me so I could be eligible to receive more financial aid,” South freshman Danny Rogers said. “I wouldn’t receive nearly as much on my own because of my age.”

TCC provided instructions on how to fill out the FAFSA along with other critical information if a student is applying strictly for financial aid through TCC.

“Although we do not give information over the phone, all representatives will be happy to talk with students in any of our offices on campus,” said TR financial aid specialist Kelly Schreiner. “We have a number of financial aid advisers on campus at any given time.”

South student Tara Westburg has completed the process.

“Going through TCC’s website is the most convenient way I have found to fill out the FAFSA form because they have created a video with helpful information and a direct link to the form on the site,” she said.

The financial aid offices have more information on the FAFSA and helpful tips for those who may need them. TCC’s site also lists the goals the financial aid area hopes to accomplish with students, both current and future.

These goals include understanding the value of the FAFSA, understanding the importance of deadlines for the FAFSA, distinguishing various aid programs like grants, scholarships, work-study and loans, receiving valuable work experience and developing debt management skills.

For those who may need even more help with the FAFSA, TCC offers 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA. This instructional video walks students through the whole process of filling out the FAFSA correctly in seven simple steps.

After filling out the FAFSA, students can receive a refund from TCC. To get this refund, students must first apply for a TCC Choice Card.

“I haven’t been eligible for a refund, but I still have a choice card just in case I receive a bigger scholarship or more financial aid next semester, which would make me eligible for a refund on the card,” Westburg said.

For all information regarding financial aid, students can go to www.tccd.edu/studentfinancialaid or call 817-515-4243 to set up an appointment with one of the financial aid advisers on any campus.