Viewpoint: Differences between two major superhero franchises

Meghan Schilling

People love to talk about superheroes.

The characters, the comics and the movies. Eventually, though, there will be a crossroads between two different franchises, DC and Marvel.

This debate has been going on ever since the two comics started publishing. I’m here to discuss which one is better, or at least what catches my eye.

The Marvel Universe is known for The Avengers and all their unique powers. DC is known for Batman, along with the Justice League. Out of the two, I would say the team that is likely the most powerful would be, honestly, neither. Both superhero squads have heroes with either the same powers or a similar tragic backstory. The teams are always changing, so it’s safe to assume that there can’t be a comparison at any time on powers and abilities.

Photo courtesy of Dev/Unsplash

Now let’s talk about movies and upcoming releases, and for the sake of my sanity, that will include Spider-Man, even though that’s considered Sony. I am not going to lie. Marvel has not disappointed with movies in recent years. DC, on the other hand, has disappointed. Although DC has had a bunch of movies flop, it has announced some movies I can’t wait to see on the big screen, such as the new Flash, Batman and Black Adam movies. However, Marvel is releasing “Spider-Man: No Way Home”, “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness,” and “Thor: Love And Thunder.”

In recent years, the reputation of DC movies has dwindled. The only enjoyable stuff it has released is the animated movies and shows, which I very much enjoy. However, Marvel has done phenomenal with movies. That’s also reflected by the box office numbers with movie releases such as “Avengers: Endgame.”

Marvel does not do very well with animated series, or at least none of them have been able to keep my attention. I find it ironic how both are flipped. Although, the release of the Zack Snyder cut of the “Justice League” represents a brighter future for DC ahead. Eventually, DC could potentially outshine Marvel if it’s not careful.

I would review the video games by both Marvel and DC, but it would be a Lego game review. The only comparable games I have played were Sony’s Spider-Man and Rocksteady’s Batman games. Honestly, I enjoyed the Batman games more because you focus on Gotham and its dark side, and you also get to see the bat family. DC has also announced the release of a new game called “Gotham Knights,” which is based on the bat family taking over after Batman is officially pronounced dead. “Marvel’s Spider-Man” for Playstation has an amazing plot, but it didn’t carry the ambiance that DC does.

After breaking down each of the universes and comparing what the other one did better, and how the other could improve, I would have to say DC is ultimately my favorite. I am a person who likes a darker, more cynical universe.