Don’t Dis My Ability

November 3, 2019 | Lissette Salgado | reporter

NE campus held an event at NCBA 1111 where students learn what is and what  is not acceptable when referring to those with disabilities.

NE administrative assistant Crimson Hite presented students with the do’s and don’ts when interacting with people with disabilities through a game on Oct. 24.

Although some students believe that this is nonsense, it is a way to learn how people want to be treated, Hite said.

Students played a game where they answered questions from five categories, designed to make them more sensitive to how they deal with those with disabilities.

Student accessibility resource officials were present, sporting black shirts with large blue and white lowercase words at the back reading “don’t dis my ability.”

We provide accommodations for students, said NE coordinator of student accessibility Kimberly Eason. “The more common accommodations are extended test time, a less distracting environment, and audio books.”

Organizers provided students with light refreshments and assistance to those with disabilities, for example, signing to deaf students.

“I work in the SAR office as a sign language interpreter,” NE sign language interpreter Melina Adams said. “I was here both working in the event and interpreting the event in the back for my deaf students.”

Students not only learned about giving respect to those with disabilities, but apparently enjoyed themselves throughout the event.

“It’s not about blaming or shaming for things you have done and yet it’s something that you are taught and will continue if we don’t put a stop to it,” Hite said.