Don’t ignore Bryant’s controversial history

February 5, 2020 | Juan Ibarra | multimedia editor

In the wake of basketball player Kobe Bryant’s death, many people have taken to celebrating his life and contributions to the community across the U.S.

But people across social media are reminding others about the 2003 case when Bryant was charged with sexually assaulting a woman.

People want fans to remember that Bryant wasn’t perfect, but some fans are angry that he is being smeared within a few days of his death.

It is an important and necessary effort to remind people that celebrities should be held responsible for their actions. Idolizing a celebrity for their good deeds is not wrong, but ignoring their bad decisions is not good.

Some people may not have known about this trial about what Bryant did. Although the case was settled outside of court, the outcome of that speaks volumes.

It is possible that discussing the event could be seen as inconsiderate to his wife and children as well as to the victim of the 2003 trial. However, the importance of the issue, especially in a post-#MeToo era, arguably proves how necessary this discussion is.

On the other hand, some people mentioning the trial are doing it with the wrong intentions — they are dragging Bryant’s name in the mud instead of using it as the focal point of an important conversation.

Instead of genuinely communicating about Bryant’s past and starting a dialogue, they would rather use the moment to talk badly about Bryant purely because he is a celebrity, and that is the hot topic right now.

This irresponsible use of a platform leaves everyone focused on how inconsiderate and reckless it is to talk about his sexual assault case so soon after his passing.

In reality, people should be talking about what is right and wrong when it comes to consent and respecting others while also discussing the duality of how good or bad a person can be.

Idols can be inspiring, but they’re still human. They can make bad decisions, and we should remember that without letting it overshadow the good deeds they have done.