Early voting starts Oct. 13 across TCC

Students, people of the community now have clear voting sites to cut down confusion

maddy reminGton
managing editor

Photos by Azul Sordo/The Collegian
Troy Havard helps voters register for the 2020 elections season. TCC will host polling stations for the Tarrant County election office at all campuses for the first time.

The 2020 general election begins next week as Americans head to the polls for early voting beginning Oct. 13.

The Tarrant County Election Office announced that all of the TCC campuses will be used as polling stations for the first time ever. 

TCC students and Tarrant County residents can cast their ballots at NW Campus in WFSC 1403A, at South Campus in the Student Center SSTU 1112, at NE Campus in the Student Center NSTU, at the SE Campus in the EMB Portable Building C, and at TR Campus.

TCC students have had an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the announcement.

“I’m ten times more likely to vote in person,” TR student Katie Beard said about having TCC campuses as an option to vote. 

Having an identifiable and familiar place for students to go to cast their ballot is encouraging TCC students to take up their civic responsibility this November.

Too often voters are left to their own devices to find out information about voting and where to go. With this announcement, many students have said that they are glad that they now know where they can cast their vote as they previously weren’t aware of any polling options.

The consensus is that the polling station announcement has made students feel that it is their responsibility to cast their ballots rather than just an option. 

The galley at NSTU will host a polling station for the 2020 election year. Early voting
can allieviate the long wait times before regular voting starts.

“I hope that with having such a powerful resource on campus, this will encourage our fellow students to make the choice to be proactive in their political lives,” said Rae Brown, NW student government association president.

Especially with the current political turmoil, students are opening their eyes to what they can do to be active in their communities.

“I feel the need, now more than ever, to vote, and to make my voice heard,” Brown said.

People overlook the small details of elections and the unnecessary boundaries there are just to cast a single vote. Making polling stations more accessible especially within our TCC community is an effort to decrease the barriers associated with elections.

If you want to work at the polls this year at a TCC campus or any other station, you can go online to tarrantcounty.com/en/elections to volunteer.

Tarrant County voters can take to the polls for early voting Oct.13 through Nov. 2. Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 3.