Editorial- Adapting holiday fun to a pandemic

Amber Davis/The Collegian

Every holiday since March, things are being done differently this year. 

Though COVID-19 cases have surged in many states including Texas, there’s no doubt  some people will still go out and partake in activities this Halloween. 

To combat that, Halloween festivities have been altered for safety.   

In Los Angeles, people drive-by give candy Mardi Gras style to socially-distanced guests while staying in their vehicle.  

Haunted houses and The State Fair of Texas in the Dallas-Fort Worth area continue the safety measures the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend. 

The State Fair of Texas offers virtual contests as well as the ability to attend virtual auto shows and tours of urban farms. 

Participants can even take a virtual ride on the Texas Star Ferris Wheel and the Top o’ Texas Tower.  

In cities or counties with a higher population, it is recommended that any celebrations are limited or canceled. 

In areas where the case count isn’t as detrimental, trick or treating is an option as long as there are enforced safety standards such as avoiding large crowds, wearing masks and continuously washing hands, According to Fort Worth Star-Telegram.  

This year trick or treating poses as a high risk activity both for children and adults.  

There are ways to make the day eventful even while still being cautious. 

Some neighborhoods in the Arlington area voted and concluded they would decorate their homes without partaking in any door-to-door trick or treating.  

Substitute activities to celebrate the holiday can include carving pumpkins, scavenger hunts, movie night and costume contests.          

In addition to at-home events, the Coyote Drive-In theatre in downtown Fort Worth is open to the public, showcasing a few select movies throughout the week. 

Recent movies showcases have included Tenet, Coco, Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas.  

To further prevent the spread of the virus and lower the amount of cases, a recent count being 501 new cases in Tarrant County, safety must be enforced.  

Door-to-door trick-or-treating could still happen if prorper measures are taken. Have signs that promote social distancing. One trick -or-treater at a time to the door. Having goody bags instead of indiviually wrapped candys.  

Don’t play party games such as bobbing for apples and beer bonging. No double dipping at the snack bar. 

For those still attending or hosting an event regardless of city policies, practice guidelines and make it fun and safe. That’s what it’s all about after all. 

Just to be safe stay home, binge Halloween candy and catch up on all the horror movies.