Editorial: Joe Biden’s freshman year was rough at best

Joe Biden’s freshman year was rough at best. Shelby Gatewood/The Collegian
Joe Biden’s freshman year was rough at best.
Shelby Gatewood/The Collegian

Biden’s first year in office has been anything but productive.

The working class is still hurting for someone to better their lives. This is what happens when someone is elected whose main argument is “I’m better than the other guy.” 

Biden was elected because the nation wanted a sense of normalcy. Former President Donald Trump lost due to his inability to take COVID seriously and because he had a new controversy each week. It was obvious to see why people didn’t want him around for a second term. 

Biden’s time in office has been more or less than what was expected from a campaign that ran solely on returning to the status quo. But due to the incompetence of the Democratic Party, the next election will most likely consist of Trump or a Trump-like candidate winning in 2024 because of the lack of action during this candidacy. 

Biden’s campaign ran on too many empty promises and lies, but that’s just politics. At a time when these promises were needed the most, it was never delivered. 

One of the primary hopes from the Biden administration was that the president would finally combat COVID in a way that is not harmful to the public. Recently, the administration released 400 million N95 masks for free in pharmacies and community health centers. It’s a step in the right direction, but other regulations or essential protocols have been dismissed out of fear of not being voted in again. 

Politicians will say what they need to say to gain power instead of doing their jobs and trying to figure out what is best for the future of this already broken-down country. 

The Biden administration is trying to do something to combat COVID, but it’s being so passive about it that it needs to put on its big boy pants and take initiative. 

COVID protocols have almost become this big joke in a way. When the pandemic first started, all “nonessential” businesses were shut down in some states because of official orders. Now, because of understaffing, even if people feel sick, they come into work. It doesn’t help that the rules for isolation and quarantine keep continuously changing. 

COVID is never going to be eradicated, but people must do their part in preventing the spread of it since the people we are supposed to be looking up to for guidance are not doing enough about it. 

What the hell was Joe Biden talking about when he said George Floyd’s death had an even bigger impact on the world than Dr. Martin Luther King’s assassination? 

“Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said at an economic roundtable in Philadelphia June 11, 2020. That statement just seems out of touch with what has been happening. 

The exit of troops in Afghanistan was another interesting footnote. This project began during the Trump administration. Biden wanted to continue going through with it and make it happen, which he did. Ending the war was never going to be pretty, though. Afghanistan fell pretty quickly to the Taliban, but the withdrawal was 20 years overdue. If anything, the departure further illustrated how the U.S. needs to stop trying to be the police of the world.  

However, since he’s been in office, he has brought down the unemployment rate tremendously and passed a $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill, which has helped so many students pay off their loans. It has also helped struggling families pay their bills. 

Biden has done some positive things but it’s not enough to ensure voters that he was the right choice. The big Cheeto Puff being out of office is what was needed and wanted moving forward, so hopefully, it’s a sign that the presidential election in 2024 will offer more variety in its candidate choices. Maybe it’ll be someone that will finally help the working class, but only time will tell. So far, it’s unlikely.