Education is not the only way to success

February 12, 2020 | Editorial
Art by Michael Harp/The Collegian

Students choose to leave college for many different reasons, but they don’t always have to be negative. What many people don’t take into account is that sometimes better opportunities come to students whose careers don’t necessarily require a degree.

When students are taught about the college application process, they are reminded to “fluff” their application with extracurricular activities to appeal to more universities. However, these activities can actually open many doors for young people wanting to navigate their field early on.

Parkland survivor and gun-sense legislation activist David Hogg was accepted to Harvard during his senior year of high school. Instead, he decided to take a gap year before enrolling at Harvard to focus on activism and the organization he co-founded, “March For Our Lives.”

Hogg’s national notoriety came to him because of a tragedy that could’ve been avoided, but he saw the situation as an opportunity to urge others to become politically engaged.

At the beginning of his gap year, Hogg stated he was interested in journalism. Now, he plans to run for Congress when he’s 25.

Taking time away from school to navigate your interests shouldn’t be viewed as negative or as an excuse for not wanting to go to college. Sometimes, it’s essential to a person’s growth.

When looking at a person’s resume, hiring managers may not care as much what your GPA is, and they might not even acknowledge what college you attended.

All that matters to some companies is that you have enough experience to perform the job you are applying for.

If you decide that you want to take the conventional route of attending college after high school, you should continue to build a network of people who already have experience in your field of interest, and who would like to help you learn more about potential career opportunities.

It’s also a wise idea to begin seeking internships with reputable companies, where you will continue to meet others who can help you take your next steps wherever you end up.

Some might prefer to take this route because this will allow them enough time flexibility to continue their college education.

Sometimes you might even impress someone enough and be offered an entry-level position sooner than expected. If the opportunity presents itself, you should always accept more experience.

Many careers no longer require you to have a degree as long as you have experience working at an established company. But, it’s understandable to feel like you don’t have a choice when pursuing a career in something as specific as the medical field.

If you don’t have the chance to work or intern somewhere related to your interests, taking a year to study abroad can be a refreshing experience for students.

Many people believe they have to do something deemed as productive to justify taking time away from school, but not everything has to be a career advancement. Sometimes you can just exist without having a final destination.

Education is valuable, and there are beneficial lessons you can take away from any class you take. Everyone should consider pursuing a degree as it will facilitate your job search and open many doors for you, but it’s important to recognize when an opportunity is too good to pass up and make a conscious decision that will benefit your life.

Some adults will make the world out to feel like it’s black and white, and that you only have two routes to choose from after high school. You can either go to college, or you can work a minimum wage job. But, life no longer fits into a single mold and opportunities are only there for you if you search for them.

Students should never feel ashamed or disappointed in themselves for choosing to put their education on hold, as long as they continue learning and growing on their path, especially if this leads you to find your passion.