Event introduces cultural dance, food

February 12, 2020 | Molly Danagher | reporter
NW student Dahrian Sloan enjoys the food after the dance performance by Bandan Koro African Drum and Dance Ensemble at the African American Heritage Celebration Feb. 6. Photo by Brooke Baldwin/The Collegian

NW Campus welcomed the Bandan Koro African Drum and Dance Ensemble at the African American Heritage celebration Feb. 6.

The event was held in the WTLO lobby, where students and staff came together to be a part of the African music and dancing as well as food provided by TCC graduate Chef Karriem of Karriem’s Catering.

The performers wore traditional African-patterned clothing and danced to the beat of the drums. NW student Jessy Martinez said that the drums could be heard across campus and as she watched, she couldn’t stop smiling.

“I was enticed,” Martinez said.

Two dances were done at the event: the Kuku, which originates from West Africa and celebrates a successful harvest, and the Sunu, which celebrates the beauty of the woman.

Director and founder Tony Browne has led Bandan Koro for 10 years in hopes that others will appreciate the cultural values of African Americans and the history behind it.

“Celebrating heritage is a way to stay connected to our roots, and oftentimes, we are disconnected from those roots due to modern-day trends,” Browne said. “Sometimes, we don’t realize that the modern-day trends have a connection or an origin to historical activities.”

Being aware of others’ way of life will provide an understanding that can be shared and appreciated. As Nana Kweku G.C., one of the Bandan Koro performers, put it simply, “Awareness is key.”