Event raises awareness about harsh realities of domestic violence

KEYLA HOLMES
keyla.holmes@mytccd.edu

Trauma Trainer Chelsea Davis works with The Women’s Center in Tarrant County to educate and destigmatize conversations regarding violence in interpersonal relationships.  

On Oct. 9 on SE Campus, Davis spoke to students and staff about Domestic Violence awareness. 

“We can be proactive in preventing violence, not just intervening,” she said. “It’s not just the professionals, therapists or social workers that do that. Everybody has a role to play in preventing violence.” 

Davis made it clear that The Women’s Center offers free services to anyone in need.  

Providing resources for those who may be experiencing violence or know someone who is can send the message that they’re not alone. 

“It’s important for students who may be going through domestic violence but don’t know how to speak out,” SE Admin. Assistant Sequoia Boyd said. 

SE student Brooke Staley was invited by someone in the Drugs, Alcohol, Sex Harassment and Hazing  program to come and watch the presentation. She said that she’s known people who have experienced such violence and her heart aches for those who have or are currently living through it. 

“It’s comforting to know that these things are being spoken about, and provisions are made for people struggling in silence,” Staley said. 

Davis said educating young people is important because for adolescents, young adults, and those in early adulthood, there’s a high risk for sexual assault and interpersonal violence.  

“It’s important that students are knowledgeable and can recognize the signs of domestic violence,” she said. “This way they can know how to get help for themselves or for someone else, and hopefully there will be a new wave of informed, safe, healthy relationships for younger generations.” 

Kecia Baker-Morris, SE director of Student Conduct and Prevention Education, said that TCC has been doing programs to raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness month for years. In 2021, the college took on a new way to show support. 

“We started Go Purple TCC,” she said. “That was sparked from a statewide initiative that on a particular day in October  the whole state of Texas would highlight or showcase Domestic Violence Awareness and we adopted it for TCC.” 

Oct. 19 is Go Purple TCC day and Morris encourages students to show support. She said this issue impacts not just one person, but the community. 

“It’s as simple as just wearing purple that day,” she said. “Because then it just kinda sparks awareness.  

For any students in need of campus or community resources, Morris said TCC is here to help.  

“If anything, just know that TCC is a place, even if the incident may not be occurring at TCC, a student can still come here and seek support and get support,” she said. 

For those who may feel nervous or scared about seeking help, Davis said she would make sure those experiencing violence, know it’s not their fault.  

“It’s never too late to get help. It’s never too late for you to tell somebody what’s happening and to reach out for help and support. Nobody deserves to be hurt or abused in any way, no matter what.” 

Davis also said this would be her response. 

“I believe what you’re telling me, and I’m really proud that you would tell me what’s going on,” she said. “There are places in your community whose entire job is to keep you safe, and get you help. If you would like, I would love to give you those resources and referrals, and maybe even sit here with you while you call them.”