Fair offers students help with transferring process

January 29, 2020 | Krissia Palomo | campus editor
Christian Garza/The Collegian. Representatives from Excelsior College in Albany, NY discuss with students about the steps to apply for the college during NE Transfer Fair Jan. 23.

NE campus hosts various four-year universities throughout the year to encourage students to get informed on the schools they could transfer to if they wish to pursue a higher degree. 

On Jan. 23, a transfer fair was held in NSTU 1615A, welcoming 40 universities ranging from local schools like the University of North Texas to Columbia University in New York. 

The event itself provided an accessible space for students whose schedules don’t regularly align with the times that local universities are present on campus. 

NE student Brant Timberman said he benefited from the convenience of a big transfer event with a variety of schools present. 

“You get all the options in one place,” Timberman said. 

While most students wait until last minute to begin the transfer process, NE student Noah Ruiz is starting the process during his second semester on campus. 

“I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right,” Ruiz said. 

For Ruiz, the event offered him a chance to broaden his interests in schools that he wouldn’t have looked at previously. 

“People sometimes feel like they’re restricted to one college because of their family or because of their career choice,” Ruiz said. “This just offers options.” 

College fairs are familiar to high school seniors. While some students plan to attend a four-year university right after graduating high school, others attend schools like TCC to ease the pressure of having to decide what their
next step is. 

NE student Francois Ndjountche said he attended a college fair before graduating from Birdville High School.

Christian Garza/The Collegian. Colleges from across the U.S. visit NE Campus to give information on four-year colleges to students.

“I felt really intimidated,” Ndjountche said. “I just walked up to a stand and took the papers they had on the table.” 

Ndjountche believes that having the opportunity to participate in the transfer fair after being at TCC for two semesters is already a more comfortable experience for him. 

“Now, I know a little bit more about what I want to do and where I want to go,” Ndjountche said. 

TCC offers transfer centers on all five physical campuses and is available to all students who wish to receive more in-depth information on transferring to a four-year school.