Fall Fest focuses on student clubs

By Cicely Sandifer/ reporter

Dance club students and passers-by dance while a DJ plays Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and other Halloween-themed tunes at the NE Campus Fall Fest Oct. 26. Katelyn Townsend/The Collegian
Dance club students and passers-by dance while a DJ plays Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and other Halloween-themed tunes at the NE Campus Fall Fest Oct. 26.
Katelyn Townsend/The Collegian

This year’s NE Halloween-themed Fall Fest Oct. 26 offered food, music and information. 

Students from various clubs set up tables for their organizations with Halloween decorations, candy and information.

As a DJ played music, students from the dance club as well as students simply passing by danced together or individually. And as if the dance club was forming a flash mob, multiple members got together in front of the DJ’s stage to dance to “Thriller.”

The Pride Club was selling buttons for a dollar and stickers for 25 cents and had information about the Safe Space Program on all TCC campuses.

The program’s training sessions are three hours and provide knowledge for students to be effective allies to LGBTQ students and those questioning their sexuality. The next session will be held 1:30-5 p.m. Nov. 18 in the Community Room (NBSS 1103) on NE Campus.

Along with the rest of the fun, the Composition Club played instruments like guitars and a xylophone, the Ping Pong Club had a table available for anyone wanting to play, and the Drama Club reminded students of its upcoming show, The Farnsworth Invention.

“The play is about the invention of the television,” drama club member Courtney Benner said. “It’s about a lengthy legal battle ensued over the authenticity of the patents.”

The Farnsworth Invention has shows at 7 p.m. Nov. 30–Dec. 3 and a 2 p.m. matinee on Dec. 3. Anyone can catch The Farnsworth Invention in the NE theater (NFAB 1205) on NE Campus.

The Cornerstone Honors Program had a table set up as well to tell students how the program is like a family and will give them a distinction on their diplomas. Applications for the spring semester are now open.

Students from the Cornerstone Honors Program were dressed as zombies and taking pictures with students in front of a painting of the clock tower.

Three women from the Gladney Center for Adoption spoke to students about what the center offers women who are considering adoption as an option.

“We’re with our families to offer support through any of those rough times,” Gladney representative Lisa Bergeron said.

One of the programs, Next Steps, works with birth parents to help them take the next steps that make great plans for their child as well as for the parents.

Students interested in transferring to a four-year college could speak to representatives from the University of North Texas, Texas Woman’s University, Texas A&M University, Texas Wesleyan University, Troy University, Tarleton State University and Colorado Christian University.

Representatives from Chick-fil-A, Childcare Careers, Peerless Productions, Pollo Tropical, Panera Bread, PSAV, Six Flags, the Texas Department of Public Safety and UPS came to talk to students interested in getting jobs. Each company is currently hiring.

Recruiters from the U.S. Army, Air Force, Marines and Navy came as well.

Student activities gained attention from students with their two tents where they passed out free food and NE T-shirts.

Another area that frequented students’ attention was a bounce house obstacle course set up by student activities.