Feature: Native American Athletes

Underrepresented community gets spotlight

Jose Romero

Indigenous People’s Day is Oct. 11, and media has always been lacking in its representation of them. Many Native American athletes have incomplete biographies on the internet, making it difficult to learn more about them. Some have only a single sentence talking about their lives. But it’s important to know them, even if it’s difficult to do so. They have paved their way into professional sports careers, demonstrating why they should be known. Hopefully, as time goes on, the media will expand its focus on Natives of every country. The lack of information on many of these athletes should be seen as an opportunity. It’s time to give them the attention they all deserve.

Tyler Bray, the Potawatomi tribe, is a free agent in The National Football League. He joined the NFL in 2013 and was previously the quarterback for the Chicago Bears. Before joining the Bears, he played for the Kansas City Chiefs for five seasons. Bray played football for the University of Tennessee before being drafted into the NFL.

Basketball is a popular sport among the Native American community. So, some seek a professional career in the sport.

Angel Goodrich, the Cherokee tribe, is a former Women’s National Basketball Association player. She played for the Tulsa Shock and Seattle Storm. She made history because, at the time, she was the highest-drafted Native American in the WNBA. She played basketball professionally until 2016. Afterward, she opened a basketball camp for Native Americans, preparing them for college-level play.

On the college level of basketball, Brice Calip has shone.

Calip, the Creek tribe, currently plays basketball for the Missouri State Bears. During her basketball career, she has scored over 1,300 points. This year, she was named the 2021 Jackie Stiles Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year. Last year, she was awarded the MVC Defensive Player of the Year award. Currently, she’s finishing college, working toward a degree in sports management.

There is a variety of sports Native Americans participate in. Some have even participated
in the Olympics.

Mary Killman, the Potawatomi tribe, is an Olympic synchronized swimmer. She competed in the 2012 London Olympics where she placed 11th. She began competing at a young age, and, at the age of 16, joined her first national team. She is a four-time winner of the U.S.A synchronized swimmer athlete of the year.

Hopefully, soon enough more outlets will cover Native Americans in a variety of sports. Their stories deserve to be told, just as much as everybody else.