Festival of fine arts will bring community to SE Campus

By Mathew Shaw/se news editor

Ceramics created by students and faculty are put on display for NE students.
NE art associate professor Karmien Bowman, sponsor for NECAPS, serves tea from one of her ceramic creations during the party.

Artistic students from SE Campus will have a venue to display their work May 1 through the Spring Fine Arts Festival.

This will be the event’s first year, and its continuation will depend on how well it goes, said SE music professor Greg Dewhirst.

The jazz combo will perform several standards including “Mr. Magic,” “Lou Jack” and “The Kicker.”

This will be one of the biggest events for the music department, said SE student Matthew Le, who will play guitar with the jazz band, combo and orchestra.

Le, however, is not nervous and looks forward to playing at the event.

“Being a music major, you want to try to perform as much as possible,” he said.

SE student Jaron Porter also looks forward to performing.

“Music is my gift. Every time I get to play, I get excited,” he said. “I hope someone leaves with uplifted spirits.”

Porter will play the bass guitar and piano.

The Texas Wesleyan wind ensemble will perform as well.

The performances and demonstrations will not be limited to music. Displays will be from all SE’s art areas, including painting, design, ceramics and sculpture, Dewhirst said.

Students in art instructor Jessica Battes-Grabowski’s ceramics class will do demonstrations on the wheel as well as other hand-building techniques in clay.

The cast from the musical theater production of Godspell will perform three songs since, according to drama associate professor Pert Durapau, the event will coincide with the musical theater class.

The festival will take place 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on the SE Campus front lawn.

Photos by Jason Floyd/The Collegian  NE musicians serenade attendees at the Mad Potter’s Tea April 24, sponsored by the NE Campus Association of Potters and Sculptors (NECAPS). The club holds the event each year to draw attention to the art department and its work.
Photos by Jason Floyd/The Collegian NE musicians serenade attendees at the Mad Potter’s Tea April 24, sponsored by the NE Campus Association of Potters and Sculptors (NECAPS). The club holds the event each year to draw attention to the art department and its work.