Floodwall to postpone opening of campus

By Susan Tallant/editor-in-chief

Fall 2008 is no longer a reality for the opening of TCC’s fifth campus. Because of construction delays, completion of the downtown site is scheduled for September 2009 with classes beginning January 2010.

“ From the beginning, little things happened that served to impede our progress,” Chancellor Leonardo de la Garza said in an e-mail to faculty.

“ Land transactions took a little longer to consummate than we hoped; architectural design took a little longer than scheduled; program reviews and ‘value engineering’ caused some delays in redesign.”

De la Garza said Hurricane Katrina also had an impact on construction nationwide because of new flood plain permits required by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

TCC has been working closely with the Corps of Engineers to come up with a design for construction of a concrete floodwall that will prevent seepage and underflow and protect the integrity of the levee.

“ No one could have anticipated the effect Katrina would have on the efforts by the Corps of Engineers on flood plain permitting,” David Wells, vice chancellor for operations and planning, said in a recent Star-Telegram story by Sandra Baker.

Wells said construction is not delayed, only the initial opening. The university will now open the entire campus at one time, rather than the few programs initially planned for fall 2008. 

Campus construction cost is about $234 million. A final price will available in May from Austin Commercial, Wells said.

Both the Associate of Arts and Associate of Applied Science with general academic transfer courses will be offered at the new campus.

Programs include business, computer science, information technology and sign language interpreting.

Health programs moving to the new campus include nursing, physical therapist assistant, respiratory care, health information technology, radiologic technology, dental hygiene and emergency medical services.

Certificate programs include long-term care administration and surgical technology.

For more information about the new campus including the design, cost and available programs, click the Downtown Campus link on the TCC Web site at www.tccd.edu.