Food market assists community

Gabriela Marcano
reporter

Alisha Perez, James Pierce and LVT Rise volunteer organize the take-home bags Dec. 2020. All staff and volunteers are masked and gloved at all times.
Collegian File Photo

NW Campus hosted its monthly Community Food Market event Sept. 17 in WATB as a way to help give back to the community.

On the third Friday of every month, people come together to make this event possible by gathering hundreds of food items to put on display — just like a regular food market. Anyone of any background can participate for free. All they need to bring is a shopping cart to put the food in.

NW special projects coordinator Lourdes Davenport, one of the organizers for the event, has a team of around 15 to 20 volunteers that help make the event run smoothly while keeping with COVID-19 guidelines.

Despite having COVID slow down the operation, that hasn’t stopped Davenport and the other members of her team help ensure people can obtain food.

Davenport helps monitor how much each community member takes. Each person can take over 35 pounds as long as it’s of multiple foods to make sure everyone has a chance to get at least one item.  

Stephanie Estrada, one of the event volunteers, said people from all backgrounds appear since it’s open to the public.

“We usually help about 200-500 people monthly whenever we host these,” Estrada said. “I’ve also seen some students come here.” 

The Community Food Market has been going on for years now, and attendees don’t have to be students. It’s a first-come, first-serve event, so people usually appear right as it opens around 8 a.m.

NW student Jocelyn Lerma admitted this event has helped her whenever she’s running short on cash and doesn’t have the time to go out.

“It’s simple, but a few cans of beans can really help in the long run,” Lerma said. “I think it’s great that the school hosts this in order to help those that can’t afford to buy much to eat.”