Former distance learning director settles out of court after suing TCC

By Kenney Kost/editor-in-chief

Kevin Eason
Kevin Eason

The college’s former distance learning director, who sued the college after he was accused of an inappropriate relationship with a female co-worker, accepted a settlement and retired instead of taking the case to trial.

Kevin Eason, who has worked in various departments across the district for 34 years, filed the lawsuit in 2012. The case was set for a Jan. 27 court date.

TCC’s attorneys then offered Eason a settlement, and the acceptance papers were signed Jan. 9.

“Over the Christmas holiday, while enjoying time off, it became very clear that the best decision for me, for others that I care about and for the college was for me to accept a settlement and retire effective Dec. 31,” Eason said.

Terms of the agreement include the resignation, a total sum of $225,000 paid to Eason with the understanding that both parties will pay their own attorney’s fees and court costs and a non-admission disclaimer for TCCD.

He said many things were left on the table due to the settlement and, while he could have gone into detail about what transpired over the last few years, Eason said he chose to focus on the career opportunity TCC provided him.

“I had a wonderful career in education,” he said. “I am proud of my contributions to TCC. I will fondly remember all of these things. I have been richly blessed.”

Representatives from Law, Snakard and Gambill, who represented TCC in the case declined to comment on the litigation. Representatives from Hill Gilstrap, who represented Eason, also declined to comment.

Vice chancellor of administrative and general counsel Angela Robinson referred all questions to the settlement agreement.

Eason said college officials accused him of having an inappropriate relationship with and showing favoritism to a female co-worker. He was reprimanded and placed on an action plan by superiors before a thorough investigation was conducted and without documented proof, he said.

The female employee was not placed on an action plan, he said, and he later filed a discrimination and retaliation charge against TCC with both the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Texas Workforce Commission.

Both Eason and the female employee deny that an inappropriate relationship occurred, according to the complaint filed.

Eason said he is happy to open a new chapter in his life.

“I am excited to move forward with new ventures and experiences in the days to come,” he said.