Free 24/7 online tutoring coming soon to students throughout TCC district

By Shirlett Warren/editor-in-chief
TCC students will soon have access to real-time tutoring services online, over the phone or even through text or email messaging.
Smarthinking, the market leader in online tutoring services, is designed to offer another option to support students, said vice chancellor of information and technology Timothy Marshall.

“It’s a very robust service with regards to what you can provide at a distance,” Marshall said. “In the online tutoring field, this is the Microsoft or the Apple.”

Smarthinking offers tutoring in multiple subjects including basic developmental math courses up to Calculus II. Tutoring is also available for reading, biology, chemistry, Spanish, physics, writing and many other subjects.

“The service allows a student to drop off an essay paper to be edited or critiqued before turning it in to a faculty member,” he said.

Students can schedule a 30-minute appointment with a tutor of their choice. Ninety percent of Smarthinking tutors have advanced degrees in their field and go through an ongoing certification process to keep current with technological skills and online instructional practices.

On-demand tutoring is available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week with a guaranteed 15-minute response time.
NE student Dayana Echeveste said she plans to use the on-demand service.

“I’d use it for my algebra class because math is complicated,” she said. “I like the idea that it’s 24/7 because I don’t always do my homework at a specific time.”

Marshall said the program will not replace face-to-face tutoring. Students will access the program through Blackboard, and their usage will be tracked through their accounts.

“A student who uses the service for more than 10 hours might need a different tutoring intervention,” he said.

The district approved 30,000 hours of tutoring service based on estimates of other institutions similar in size to TCC.

Chancellor Erma Johnson Hadley said she expects the program to improve student success rates.

“Faculty, especially those who teach online, are really excited about this additional opportunity for their students,” Hadley said.

Mathematics
(Basic Math through Calculus II)

Intro. Human Anatomy & Physiology
Computers and Technology
Economics
Spanish
Reading
Physics
Biology
Introductory Finance
Statistics
Chemistry
Accounting
Organic Chemistry

Writing
(For all courses, including ESOL) through Online Writing Lab Live Writing Help