Geology excursion combines vacation, summer school course

By Denisecia Wilson/reporter

Geology students get out of the classroom and learn about more than rocks and minerals. Assistant professor Hayden Chasteen encourages students to experience geology and make connections. Photos courtesy Hayden Chasteen

Students tired of being stuck in a classroom all summer can combine a summer vacation with class credits May 20-June 9.

A mini-course to the Colorado Plateau and Southern Rocky Mountains offers a combination of eight transferable college hours along with fresh mountain air.

The waiting list has already begun, so the first step is to complete a course questionnaire available from geology assistant professor Hayden Chasteen in NSCE 1104A or by calling him at 817-515-6694.

Although summer course registration doesn’t officially begin until April 15, early registration is available for those interested. This trip is first-come, first-served.

Geology students study rock formations and can earn eight college credits on this year’s trip to the Colorado Plateau and Southern Rocky Mountains. Photos courtesy Hayden Chasteen
Geology students study rock formations and can earn eight college credits on this year’s trip to the Colorado Plateau and Southern Rocky Mountains.
Photos courtesy Hayden Chasteen

A $750 fee covers van rentals, campsite reservations, national and state park entry fees, food for three meals a day and expenses for gas and oil.

However, it does not include TCC’s standard tuition and fees. Students have various ways to pay for this trip. Financial aid is available to those who qualify as well as Veterans Affairs benefits and numerous payment plans.

This trip isn’t just for geology majors. Chasteen encourages everyone to join the experience.

Simply purchasing and reading a geology textbook prior to the trip will better the likelihood of being successful in this mini-course, Chasteen said. Gaining knowledge from geology through various activities and experiences is the basis for this trip, and it is motivated by excited students, he added.

The mini-course will celebrate its 11th year this May.

“I want students to experience geology and make connections,” Chasteen said. “You can only do so much in a classroom. Geology is not just about work, work, work.”