Health services assist students’ healthy choices

Campus nurse Susan Alvarado checks NE student Lee Ann Ducker's pulse with an oximeter. Photo by Katelyn Townsend/The Collegian
Campus nurse Susan Alvarado checks NE student Lee Ann Ducker’s pulse with an oximeter.
Photo by Katelyn Townsend/The Collegian

By Rodrigo Valverde/reporter

Living a healthy lifestyle isn’t an easy thing for anybody. One has to live by standards, make hard choices and have extreme dedication.

Fortunately for the TCC community, each campus has a health center to help push everyone in the right direction.

“The mission of Tarrant County College District health services is to promote health and wellness through education and service,” according to the mission statement found on the TCC website.

Each campus center provides free and confidential services. Included are blood pressure, glucose and weight monitoring, emergency response, treatment for minor injuries and health counseling, all provided by on-campus registered nurses.

Health services also provides students with over-the-counter medications for those suffering from minor illnesses such as headaches or colds. Students won’t have to leave campus to buy such medications.

“We like to provide students support, help students succeed and keep students on campus to make their lives easier,” said NE nurse Susan Alvarado. “We also provide resources and literature that’ll help students as well.”

Besides the services each health center provides, staff members also host events throughout each semester to educate students on healthy living. The centers also give students opportunities to share by sponsoring blood drives and bone marrow donor registries.

Some students live without health insurance, and though TCC cannot provide it, health services can give students references to low-cost insurance companies that will best suit them. TCC does not endorse or receive commissions for students enrolling in any insurance programs.

Health services also provides Student Health 101, an online magazine, that not only helps coach students on healthy living but offers tips on getting through college, finding a job and dealing with stress. The free magazine can be accessed through the TCC website.

“Working in health services is rewarding to me because it’s such a diverse population of students, and you get to see the difference that you make in people’s lives,” Alvarado said.