Hispanic Heritage Month

Illustration by Amber Davis/ The Collegian

Celebrating the icons of Hispanic culture

Heritage and culture influence future generations by giving them something to see where they came from, and how far they have come. With the 52nd anniversary of Hispanic Heritage month at hand, and the climate of this country. It’s vital to show the contributions of hispanic figures throughout history.

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo was a mexican painter born in Mexico City, Mexico on July 6, 1907. Her paintings were mostly self-portraits and political inspired that tackled themes like race, class, gender, and sexual orientation. She is an icon to many groups and organizations such as the LGBTQ+ community. Some of her notable works are the “Henry Ford Hospital,” “My Birth,” and “Memory, the Heart.”

Sylvia Rivera

Sylvia Rivera was a transgender rights activist, and fighter for gay liberation. Born in New York City Rivera, despite being an orphan, and was homeless at the age of 11 overcame boundaries to make her an important figure in the LGBTQ community in the seventies. Rivera co-founded Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries which was a group to helping young drag queens, gay youth and trans women.

Roberto Clemente

Roberto Clemente was an 18 year veteran of Major League Baseball. Hailing from Carolina, Puerto Rico he became an all star outfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Along with being inducted into the baseball hall of fame, he posthumously received the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his works with bringing the game of baseball to underprivileged children.

Ellen ocha

In 1993, Ellen Ochoa became the first Hispanic woman to go to space and served a nine day mission aboard the space shuttle Discovery. She was also the first Hispanic director of the Johnson Space Center. Ochoa was born on May 10, 1958 in Los Angeles, California. She achieved a bachelor’s degree in physics from San Diego State University and a master’s degree and doctorate in electrical engineering from Stanford University. She received many awards such as NASA’s highest award, the Distinguished Service Medal.