Homeless program gets praise

TCC has always been a college open to anyone from any walk of life with the desire to learn. Even those who are homeless can receive a quality education through TCC’s Visions Unlimited program.

TCC’s website says Visions “seeks to inspire self-sufficiency in individuals and families mobilizing, equipping and empowering the movement of the homeless into higher education.” And since its creation in spring 2007, it has been doing just that.

These students are overcoming the barriers life has placed in their way and making great strides in both their academic and personal lives with the help of the program and its dedicated staff.

Everyone from school administrators and faculty to The T bus services has had a hand in helping these students get things accomplished.

The program recently teamed with the Fort Worth Housing Authority to offer housing vouchers for students who have persisted in their studies and excelled academically.

The housing vouchers will get students out of the shelter and into their own personal living space.

The program has also teamed with the Metropolitan Black Chamber of Commerce on service learning projects since fall 2009. One Visions student has received a full scholarship the past two semesters from the chamber and works for it as a part-time intern.

Sixty-six students currently are enrolled working toward either a degree or certificate program. Last spring, Visions celebrated its first graduate who is currently completing her degree at Texas Wesleyan University.

Two more Visions students are set to graduate this spring with one of them earning two certificates of completion and an associate degree as well. Another student will transfer to UT-Arlington in the fall.

The Visions students are also active in various clubs on South Campus. Visions student Chris Anderson is president of the newly resurrected Student Government Association, three Visions students are members of Phi Theta Kappa and others serve as delegates and presidents of other student organizations.

Many of the financial resources that help to fund Visions are now facing budget cuts. This could potentially affect the levels on which the program can assist its students in the future.

For now, the program and its students continue to push forward.

These students completely negate the stereotypes people have about the homeless. Life has its ups and downs, and these people found the strength to pick themselves up again and start over.

The students of this program should walk around with their heads held high. They are proof that no matter what life throws at you, with dedication and persistence you can and will succeed.