Horoscope culture is getting out of control

Illustration by Tj Favela
Illustration by Tj Favela

Horoscopes have made a rise in mainstream media, but how will a predetermined set of opinions affect people’s future decision-making?

Astrology and horoscopes have been used in different cultures around the world for years, but their recent spike in popularity has created a whole new community of people. Previously horoscopes would be general prompts or characteristics that could fit almost anyone but as the hype has grown so has the specificity.

Nowadays, it has become almost impossible to open up social media without seeing someone talking about correlating signs and what you should or should not be interested in based on your astrological placements. Although these may not have been intended to sway people’s thoughts so intensely, some people have taken these on as a law of sorts.

For some, the reading of horoscopes or traits that certain zodiac signs can have is just a simple hobby, for others, it is the foundation of their entire personality.

This can include changing their opinions on topics, situations or even the way they choose to form relationships. 

Decision-making as an adult is an important skill so the fact that some people are willing to change their opinion on a moment’s notice is pretty concerning.

This goes further than just “what should I have for breakfast this morning?” Many of the videos seen in these TikTok trends have included things like “which signs to avoid” or red flags surrounding a certain sign, which led to even more videos of people completely exiting relationships due to zodiacs. How is it fair to judge someone just from their date of birth, something they can’t change?

The stigma created by social media surrounding certain signs has created a wall that can almost seem impossible to get past. It seems like even mentioning the word Scorpio in a conversation can now be seen as a “red flag.”

In this way how can it be said that judging someone by a horoscope is any less cruel than judging someone off the way they look or how they talk? These are things that cannot be changed and we’re never in the hands of said person, yet it seems it’s becoming more and more socially acceptable to alienate someone if your excuse aligns with the stars. 

What’s almost worse than writing people off based on their birthdays is using your own as an excuse for bad behavior. 

It seems like every out-of-pocket comment can now be deemed ok if it ends with “I’m an ‘xyz’ zodiac sign, don’t judge me.” And if you decide that’s not a good enough reason there’s a pretty high possibility you could be labeled a bully. 

The hypocrisy surrounding horoscopes can be damaging in a whole new way. Like most trends there is a possibility that this one will fizzle out, but the repercussions don’t fade quite as fast. For those who lived their lives dedicated to their zodiac it could result in a feeling of not knowing where to go or how to move on.

But, for those who had been on the receiving end of backlash or even those who don’t necessarily believe in horoscopes, this kind of dedication and fanaticism can lead them to being ostracized for no reason. Why does a person have to be born in a certain month to have a meaningful relationship with someone born in another month?

Horoscopes can be a means to finding spiritual fulfillment or direction, but this doesn’t mean that it is a predestination for someone’s every decision. The way that astrological influencers present these ultimatums of “If you’re this you have to do this or else you aren’t going to have the life you want” is absolutely ridiculous.

You don’t need to know your sign to decide who you’ll love, and you certainly don’t need someone telling you your entire personality through a screen. Your destiny is your choice but you can’t choose when you’re born.