It’s a dog’s life for Sylvia

By Randi Johnson/reporter

Colleen Cribbs, as Sylvia, a mixed breed dog, bonds with her new owner Greg, played by Jason Watson, in the South Campus production of Sylvia in the Performing Arts Center Thursday-Saturday.  Photo by Brandon Tompkins/The Collegian
Colleen Cribbs, as Sylvia, a mixed breed dog, bonds with her new owner Greg, played by Jason Watson, in the South Campus production of Sylvia in the Performing Arts Center Thursday-Saturday. Photo by Brandon Tompkins/The Collegian

Once the honeymoon is over and the kids have grown and moved away, juggling marriage, work and bills can be a task that causes changes and self-searching in any person.

Sylvia, a play written by A.R. Gurney, is a humorous story about these adventures that life sometimes brings.

South Campus drama students will perform Sylvia to conclude the fall semester.

The performances will be Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 29-Dec. 1 at 7:30 p.m. on the mainstage in the Performing Arts Center on the South Campus. The performance is free to all TCC students, faculty and staff, $3 for seniors and other students and $6 for the general public. Tickets can be bought at the door, no reservations required.

The play is an adult-natured play about a couple, Greg and Kate, who are unfortunately blessed when Sylvia, a mixed breed dog, becomes part of the family.

Greg, played by Jason Watson, is a financial worker reaching the end of his career. Greg finds Sylvia in the park and brings her home.

Sylvia becomes the friend Greg had been looking for, but also brings conflict between Kate and Greg.

Watson said the play is a challenging experience because of the age difference of the characters they are playing since the young students are portraying middle-aged characters.

Kate, played by Andi Watts, is a teacher whose career is on the up swing. Therefore, Kate has little room in her life to deal with Sylvia’s and Greg’s new relationship.

“ This is a play that brings reality to the stage,” she said. “It’s funny and deals with everyday conflicts that happen in marriage.”

Watts and Watson agreed Sylvia is an adult play and is appropriate for college students, but not appropriate for children.

The play is directed by Jason Morgan, adjunct drama instructor.

“ It has been great working under Morgan. He has taught us a lot,” Watts said.

Morgan had to push the cast to try new things for this play.

Watts and Watson both said it has been a challenge to act these roles as they are much different than their own personalities.

Morgan told them they have to replace their current habits, such as putting their hands in their pockets, with more mature habits.

Sylvia is played by Colleen Cribs, a busy student who plans to transfer to Texas Tech.

The cast members agreed this is “a delightful, entertaining play that is going to be a success.”

Lindy Benton, South Campus theater director, said audience members should arrive on time because no one is allowed in the theater after the performance begins.

Sylvia
South Campus

Showtimes: Thursday- Saturday 7:30 p.m.
Box Office: 817-515-4642
General Admission: $6
Non TCC Students/Seniors: $3
TCC Students and Staff: Free
*No Late Seating*