MadWoman talk planned on NW

By Victor Henderson/nw news editor

Two art professors plan to bring a reality-based version of Mad Men to NW Campus.

On Nov. 22, The Arts Coalition, a student group, and the visual arts department will present MadWoman with guest speaker Sarah Dooley as part of their Creative Talk Series.

Dooley has worked in the advertising industry for more than 10 years in the New York and Philadelphia areas. She has also organized photo shoots in places such as Los Angeles, London and Cape Town.

“Sarah seemed like the perfect person to shed some light on what an actual career in graphic design and advertising is like,” said Winter Rusiloski, associate professor of art.

Dooley’s presentation will cover the transition from studying art in college to a career in advertising. She also will spend time answering questions and reviewing students’ portfolios.

The session is 8:30-11 a.m. in WFAB 1132.

Christian deLeon, art associate professor, said Dooley’s talk is the first in the Creative Talk Series, and a couple of speakers are planned each semester ranging from artists to designers, professionals and successful students.

“There is only so much professors can try to pass on to their students,” said deLeon. “I see this as a wealthy supplement to their education before stretching out into the creative real world.”

DeLeon said one of his favorite things about teaching had been a summer workshop series for students, faculty and staff. He now uses a lot of TED.com talks in his class lectures and has attended the Celebrity Lecture Series at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History.

“All these things played in my head at just the right time,” deLeon said. “Winter told me about her idea to bring Sarah Dooley in for a talk, and that turned into the idea of having a Creative Talk Series at TCC NW.”

DeLeon encourages students on all campuses to attend because he believes it will open their minds to new things and foster exciting possibilities, both in regards to current trends in the creative world and future career possibilities.

Although NW does not offer classes in graphic design, students can take fundamental art classes, such as Drawing I and Design II. NE Campus does have a graphic design program available.

For more information, call 817-515-7311 or email Rusiloski at winter.rusiloski@tccd.edu.