Marijuana is taxable, harmless and helpful

By Malik Giles/campus editor

Eleven states have legalized marijuana. While others are in the process of legalization, Texas is too slow to change this plant’s legal status.

This is unacceptable. Marijuana should be legal in Texas for the same reasons other states have legalized it.

Texas is one of the top states for incarcerating citizens according to US News. With Texas jails overflowing with nonviolent drug offenders, a lot more jail cells will be available to house the criminals who are much more dangerous.

In 2019, Colorado made $1 billion in tax revenue. Imagine what Texas can do with that money as its economy is much larger than Colorado’s. The guaranteed tax revenue, job growth through the birth of a new legal marijuana industry are all inevitable consequences of legalization.

My uncle lives in California, and he suffered from alcoholism, which led to three DWI convictions. When Proposition 64 was passed in 2016, which legalized medical and recreational use of cannabis, he stopped drinking and used marijuana to manage his anxiety.

It does not have the same dangerous side effects as alcohol, and it relaxes my uncle. Marijuana saved my uncle’s marriage, his job and his life.

For the first offense of drunk driving, it’s up to a $2,000 fine and/or up to 180 days of jail time. The penalty for possession of four ounces of marijuana is twice the jail time and the fine. This is insane because there’s a risk that people can lose their lives from drunk driving.

While there have been no reports of fatalities of people, possession of weed that’s 2 oz. or less is the same penalty of a DWI charge.

Smoking is still unhealthy, even if it’s marijuana smoke, but there are other ways to use it. Marijuana can be taken by consuming an edible, which is much safer than inhaling smoke.

Marijuana needs to be legal in Texas. But it’s easier said than done, and one who believes in the positive aspect of marijuana should do something about it.

Voting to get someone in the office is the best way to pursue the legalization of it. When primary voting in November comes, I will be voting for the candidate that can make legalization possible.