Movie Review – Murray film creates unusual experience for audience

By Samuel Medina III /south news editor

The dry humor and sarcastic tone that Bill Murray brings to Rock the Kasbah is definitely not for everyone, but that is exactly what makes the movie so unique.

Salima (Leem Lubany) argues with Richie Lanz (Bill Murray) after she runs away from her village to perform on a TV talent show in Rock the Kasbah.Photo courtesy Open Road Films
Salima (Leem Lubany) argues with Richie Lanz (Bill Murray) after she runs away from her village to perform on a TV talent show in Rock the Kasbah.
Photo courtesy Open Road Films

The film stars Murray as Richie Lanz, a washed-up band manager who takes his sluggish client/receptionist Ronnie (Zooey Deschanel) on a USO tour in Afghanistan.

At first, she seems like the responsible one, but when they arrive in a battered, sun-bleached town, she goes ballistic from anxiety. She robs him of his money and passport and flees to the safety of Dubai, leaving Lanz stranded without a star.

Lanz finds himself a new client in a small village when he was hired to complete a task, but wherever he goes, there is going to be a problem.

Salima (Leem Lubany) is a native who is forbidden to sing, let alone perform on the Afghan version of American Idol, but Lanz is determined to make her a star.

All of the actors bring their own unique personalities to the movie and complement each other in odd ways. They stay true to the roles they normally play and give performances anyone would expect of them: Danny McBride with his over-the-top acting, Bruce Willis as a hardened soldier not to be messed with and  Deschanel as the quirky character she normally is.

The film will not appeal to everyone. The depressing reality of the setting, mildly comical scenes to create a laugh or two and dramatic problematic tone that never quite settles make the film an odd experience.

But for those who love odd, off-the-wall movies like The Men Who Stare at Goats, this one is a must see. Although it is not a groundbreaking film, it is sort of a novelty that this viewer adored.

The indie vibe Rock the Kasbah gives off would lead one to believe it was made by a group of guys submitting it to a film festival.

But be wary if thinking about seeing the movie. The film does not capture the Bill Murray everyone knows. It is a different side of him that could be considered boring but actually supports the warm, dry atmosphere the film resonates.