MOVIE REVIEW – Shield your eyes from 50 Shades

By Devin Simkins/reporter

Selling over a million copies, breaking records and appearing on the “must read” list of many housewives, it is no surprise that the box office saw $94,395,000 the opening weekend of Fifty Shades of Grey.

People were surprised to find that the main actors cast were not huge, well-known stars. After about 10 seconds into the movie, it became clear why they both

Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) stares out of his high-rise tower at the Seattle landscape. Grey is a billionaire entrepreneur with a dark past and perverse streak who likes to be in control of all things around him.  Photo courtesy Universal Pictures
Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) stares out of his high-rise tower at the Seattle landscape. Grey is a billionaire entrepreneur with a dark past and perverse streak who likes to be in control of all things around him.
Photo courtesy Universal Pictures

weren’t.

Dakota Johnson plays Anastasia Steele (Ana), a college student about to graduate. Johnson was the perfect person to play the nerdy, cute student. There was, of course, no need to ask why Jamie Dornan was picked for the part of Christian Grey. Just look at him.

Within the first 10 minutes of the movie, Ana fills in for her sick roommate at an interview with Christian and sparks fly. Ana is mesmerized by Christian’s success: big company, nice cars, helicopters, personal drivers and a glamorous penthouse suite.

Once she finds out that he is a crazy, control freak and uses perversion to get his way, was it enough to make her stay? Christian has an annoying way of trying to control her every action and decision. She goes back and forth the entire movie trying to make up her mind on whether to be his “submissive” or not. Not to spoil the ending for anyone, let’s just say she picks a side.

Although the viewer walks in expecting to see nudity after nudity, and there are definitely scenes in there, comedy was throughout. Ana and Christian had the audience laughing many moments, which was good to counteract the awkwardness of other scenes.

Director Sam Taylor-Johnson and author E.L. James did not hit it off on set of the movie. Rumors of them not getting along have left some people to suspect there could be a different director for sequel productions.

Fifty Shades of Grey is just an average movie with both good and horrible parts. If anything, women should still see it just to look at Jamie Dornan’s face.

Fifty Shades of meh Photo courtesy Universal Pictures
Fifty Shades of meh
Photo courtesy Universal Pictures