Music Review-A minimalistic spin on music for the holiday season

ALYSON OLIVER

Photo courtesy of Sumerian
Singer-songwriter and Youtuber Poppy gives listeners a laid-back EP to enjoy over
the holidays. Poppy transcended Youtube stardom into a successful music career.

Singer-songwriter Poppy’s much awaited Christmas EP, “A Very Poppy Christmas,” puts a minimalistic spin on music for the holiday season.

The EP – which has fewer tracks than a full-length album but more tracks than a single – is made up of simple instrumentals, ethereal vocals and melancholy lyrics. These elements bring it down a notch energy-wise from the overtly cheerful Christmas records one usually hears in shopping malls, at family gatherings or through their speakers at home. It’s a change of pace that some holiday music listeners may be looking for.

The opening track, “I Like Presents,” sets the chilled-out tone for the rest of the EP. It consists mostly of a lilting electric guitar and delicate, layered vocals. The simple composi- tion gives it a mellow feel, especially paired with lyrics about the joy and solace spending the holidays with someone special can bring. However, the simplicity doesn’t totally work to the song’s advantage, leaving it feeling a bit flat as far as dynamics go.

“I Won’t Be Home For Christmas” is built on electric keyboards and synths. This track is a darker take on a holiday favorite, with lyrics such as, “My heart is broken down / On the shoulder of the 110” and, “I don’t know where I’ll be / But I won’t be home for Christmas.” It’s another area where the EP could use a bit more variation between song sections to really make the track stand out.

“Kiss In The Snow” is the album’s liveliest track. A diversion from the melancholy feel of the last track, it describes a sweet holiday

romance with lines like, “But when it gets cold / We get so close / You know we kiss in the snow.” The chorus combines palm-muted electric guitar with piano and a beat with a fun hook that makes for an upbeat listening experience.

The final track, “Silver Bells,” is the only cover of a traditional Christmas tune on the EP. The instrumental consists of an acoustic and an electric guitar layered with reverb. It wraps up the EP, which clocks in at about 10 minutes long, on an ethereal note.

“A Very Poppy Christmas” differs from most of Poppy’s discography as more simple and less upbeat and punchy.

Even though the listening experience wasn’t negative, it left more to be desired.

All of the songs felt as if they could have been more dynamic while still keeping their minimalistic feel, most notably the first two. Though one or two new sounds were usually introduced as the songs progressed, they still felt a bit flat. “Kiss In The Snow” stood out from the rest of the EP for having the most variation between different sections of the song.

The EP isn’t a standout listening experi- ence, but it definitely isn’t an unpleasant one with its serene feel and its combination of sweet and somber lyrics. Laid-back, simplistic Christmas arrangements can be a nice change in pace from the traditional holiday songs many people are familiar with.

Fans and first-time listeners should give Poppy’s “A Very Poppy Christmas” a listen if they’re looking to c holiday season in a festive fashion.