MUSIC REVIEW – Post Malone’s lack of identity, structure leads to hip-hop flop

“Hollywood’s Bleeding”, Post Malone

By Gunner Young/campus editor

Soundcloud extraordinaire and TCC dropout Austin Post aka Post Malone has been on top of the world as of late. His first two albums, “Stoney” and “Beerbongs & Bentleys” launched him out of the internet craze from which he was born and thrust him into the global spotlight.

TV performances, radio play and interviews turned this no-name from Grapevine into the “Rockstar” and “Better now” singer that is known by everyone’s grandma, probably, and everyone else too.

In his newest album, “Hollywood’s Bleeding,” it is obvious that Post finally got a hold of the creative reigns, and is able to at least have full control over who he uses on his album.

One would think having blockbuster names like Ozzy Osbourne, Travis Scott and Halsey would elevate his sound and help him achieve that cohesive, identity-defining album that is missing from his discography.

Well, that isn’t what listeners got. At all.

His albums have always had a few bright spots, with the rest of the album being what makes it unlistenable. This album is no different, and it also fails to bring radio-friendly bangers to the table as well.

The song “Wow.” was the closest he came, and it was relatively disappointing for being the best song on the new project.

“Hollywood’s Bleeding” is his worst album yet. He has all the help he needs now. He has global recognition. He has great featured guest artists and he has contemporary songwriting greats like Josh Tillman with writing credits.

But at the end of the day, Post Malone’s boring, drab and getting-old-fast delivery and his vapid, meaningless lyrics have gotten him as far as he can go.

His musical identity combines a goofy persona with what can only be described as a childish attempt at being relatable.

Any chance he has at becoming a respected artist is dying fast, and with this album it is hard to deny that Post Malone, known more for his quirky yet intolerably fake personality than his music, has peaked in the worst possible way. And that is not going to change if this is the best he has.