Names & Events

Samuel Griffith NE Campus piano student, has been awarded a renewable $3,500 scholarship to Texas Wesleyan University.  

Feb. 24 Students who want to get a head start on the financial aid process for summer or fall can attend FAFSA, a workshop that will explain the standard application that determines qualifications for federal aid, noon in TRTR 3102.

Feb. 24 Monica Miranda presents Resume Writing Workshop 1-2 p.m. in SSTU Texas Room on South Campus.

Feb 24-25 Representatives of the armed forces will be on NW Campus to provide information about current programs and benefits offered by the armed forces. On Wednesday, military representatives will have tables in front of the Bookstore 9 a.m.-1 p.m. On Thursday, pull-up competitions and the Dallas Mavericks cheerleaders will be in the area between the Student Center and WACB 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

Feb. 27 Get answers to questions about creative writing and publishing at the NW Campus SNaP Creative Writing Conference. Guest speakers USA Today best-selling author Julie Kenner, screenwriter Jon Keeyes and 2005 Texas Poet Laureate winner Alan Birkelbach will join NW Campus faculty to present workshops about brainstorming ideas, making writing better and getting into the publishing ring for screenwriting, poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Students can ask additional questions of the guest speakers during a question-and-answer period. A free lunch will be provided, followed by a book signing. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, e-mail mary.lounsbury@tccd.edu or call 817-515-7224.

March 1 The Feb. 23 Student Success Seminar Research Made Easy has been rescheduled for 12:30-10 p.m. in NSTU Center Corner on NE Campus.

March 1 Students wanting to sign up for TCC study abroad program in Costa Rica must do so to avoid $100 late charges. Students can improve their Spanish at the University of Costa Rica-San Jose, take field trips to the surrounding country and interact with people in San Jose. Contact Alejandro Garza at alejandro.garza@tccd.edu or 817-515-7762 for details.

March 1 NE Campus student activities and guitar club will sponsor a fundraiser 7:30-10 p.m. in the NSTU Cafeteria. The event is to help the club raise money for trips to compete against other guitar players. After a performance from the ensemble, individuals can purchase stage time of 10 minutes for $3. Concessions will also be sold.

March 1-5 The Trinity River Transfer Center will host Transfer Connections. Representatives from various four-year colleges and universities will set up on Main Street in the Trinity River Building to advise students on requirements and procedures for transfer.

March 2 Sandra Bermejo, South academic advisor, and Annie Dobbins, South counselor, present ABCs to Success: Setting Goals and Making the Right Decisions, Part I 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room.

March 3 NE Campus health services will sponsor free and confidential HIV and syphilis testing 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in NSTU 1704A. Results will be available 10 a.m.-noon March 10 in the same room. Appointments are not required but will be taken first. For more information or to make an appointment, call 817-515-6056.

March 3 NE Campus student activities and counseling will sponsor Choosing an Academic Major 12:30-2 p.m. in NSTU Center Corner. Counselor Lilian Mabry will discuss general ways students should approach finding their way to decide on a major. Reservations are encouraged but not required. Refreshments will be served. For more information or to make a reservation, call 817-515-6644.

March 3 NE Campus student activities and English department will sponsor How Can I Stay in School? Lessons from World of Warcraft 6-7:20 p.m. in NSTU Center Corner. English associate professor Rebecca Balcarcel will discuss the similarities between the game and college life and explain how to use game knowledge to succeed in classes. Reservations are encouraged but not required. Refreshments will be served. For more information or to make a reservation, call 817-515-6644.

March 3 Chris Carcerano, coordinator of the center for academic success, presents Plan Your Summer Now: Internships, Job, School or Service? 12:30–2 p.m. in SACA 1120 on South Campus.

March 3 Flo Stanton, South Campus coordinator of health services, presents Positive Self-Talk 6-6:45 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room. The series aims to help students stay positive. For more information, call 817-515-4531.

March 3 NW Campus career and employment services is bringing its office to students. From 9-11 a.m., staffers will man a table across from the Bookstore and have information about services offered including reviewing résumés as well as giving out information packets on interviewing do’s and don’ts.

March 3 Learn how to poison-proof your home and protect your children at the Poison Preventions lunch sponsored by NW Campus health services. Mike Yudizky of the North Texas Poison Center in Dallas will present Of Course My Home’s Poison Proof … Or Is It? 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Michael Saenz Conference Center (WACB 1123). Lunch is free, but RSVP to 817-515-7790.

March 4 NE Campus health services and health, physical and recreation department will sponsor Success Over Stress 12:30-1:30 p.m. in NSTU 1506. HPE instructors Eli Koenn and Lynn Fieser will discuss different techniques to cope with stress. The first 30 people who make reservations by March 1 will receive free lunch. For more information or to make reservations, call 817-515-6056.

March 4 To go along with SE Campus’ Tree Campus USA project, Howard Garrett will present Organic Tree Farm 10-11:30 a.m. in the North Ballroom. Garrett will give details about organic tree farms and why they are good for the environment. He will also give information on how SE Campus can take care of its 100 new trees in a better and safer way for the environment.

March 4 NE Campus student activities, mental health department and continuing education services will sponsor Spirituality and Childhood Sexual Abuse Recovery 1-4 p.m. in NCAB 1111. Committed to Freedom executive director Sallie Culbreth will discuss the long-term impacts of childhood sexual abuse, the roles of attachment and how to address spirituality. Students can attend free. Because professionals will receive three contact hours, they will be charged $20. A light lunch will be served at 12:30 p.m.

March 5 The Feb. 12 NW Campus Sadie Hawkins Day Dance has been rescheduled because of snow. Sponsored by the NW Campus Dance Club, the event will benefit Homes for Our Troops, an organization that builds homes free for soldiers who have received disabling injuries while in service. The dance is 7:30-10 p.m. in WSTU 1103 and will include brief instruction on dance steps and a dance-off competition. Tickets are $7 a person and $10 for a couple. For more information, call Amy Sleigh at 817-515-7174.

March 9 SE Campus students can learn about the dangers of binge drinking in a presentation by TCC counselor Bob Phanelson 10-11:20 a.m. in the North Ballroom. The talk will cover the causes and effects of drinking along with facts about binge drinking that most people may not know. This presentation will give insight on how to deal with problems and get away from binge drinking altogether.

March 9 Sandra Bermejo, South academic advisor, and Annie Dobbins, South counselor, present ABC’s to Success: Setting Goals and Making the Right Decisions, Part II to help students make the right choices to achieve their goals 10-11:20 a.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus.