Names & Events

Aug. 28 South Campus will hold  a textbook swap noon-2 p.m. in the SSTU Cafeteria. Students can get rid of old textbooks and find new ones in one step. For more information, contact student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Aug. 28 TR Campus will offer Advice and a Slice 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in The Zone. The free lunch includes pizza and the chance to meet with TR academic advisors. For more information, call student development associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Aug. 28 The TR Campus Welcome Dinner for new and returning students is 5-7 p.m. in the Riverfront Café on Main Street. A taco salad buffet will be available to the first 150 attendees. For more information, call student development associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Aug. 29 Pastries with the President will be held 10-11 a.m. in the Riverside Café on Main Street on TR Campus. Students can have a free breakfast and talk with the campus president, vice presidents, deans, directors, faculty and staff members. The event is open to all students. For more information, call student development associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Aug. 29 South Campus will host a party 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on the SSTU patio. South clubs and student organizations will provide information to new students. Refreshments will be provided. For more information, contact student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Aug. 29, Sept. 5 The South Campus Family Empowerment Center will host a Jobs NOW search clinic 2-4 p.m. in Room 1738A. The clinic is free, but students must register ahead of time. For more information, call administrative assistant Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Aug. 30 The South Campus Family Empowerment Center will offer free legal assistance 2-6 p.m. in rooms 1738A and 1725C. Students must preregister. For more information, call administrative assistant Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Aug. 30 The Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society on TR Campus will sponsor the First Week Service Program at the Trinity River Community Garden 9-11:30 a.m. in the TR Plaza. Attendees should wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothing. A free lunch will be served at the First Week Service Program Feedback Forum noon–1 p.m. For more information, call student development associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Aug. 30 SE student activities will host Welcome Back WRAP-UP 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in the ESCT lobby, hub and breezeway. Students can celebrate wrapping up the first week with live music, food and a scavenger hunt. For more information, call student activities at 817-515-3595.

Sept. 2-30 The SE Library and student activities will sponsor The Blessings of Liberty: The U.S. Constitution in the library. The exhibit from Humanities Texas examines the importance of the Constitution in a series of 12 panels. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call library services assistant director Tracey Minzenmayer at 817-515-3388.

Sept. 3 NE counselor Anita Peters will present What is a Learning Disorder? 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus. Peters will focus on successful people with learning disorders and explain reading, mathematics and written expression disorders. For more information, contact psychology associate professor Treisha Light at 817-515-4740.

Sept. 3-4 The SE Reading and Writing Resource Center will offer two workshops on Writing with Technology 3-3:30 p.m. Sept. 3 and 7:30-8 p.m. Sept. 4. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 3-6 The Discovery Center’s Survival Week runs 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in TRTR 3102 on TR Campus. Presentations will highlight the skill sets students need for college success and tutoring services available on TR Campus. The workshops will begin at 11:30 a.m. Refreshments will be served throughout the day. For more information, call academic success center coordinator Stevie Blakely at 817-515-1330.

Sept. 4 NW health services and the Support Staff Professional Development Committee will host Prevention and Understanding Alzheimer’s. Meharvan Singh, interim director of aging and Alzheimer’s disease research at the University of North Texas Health Science Center, will discuss the disease’s onsets and telltale signs and other related brain diseases and cancers. Students can attend the seminar 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in WACB 1123. Lunch will be available for those who RSVP by using synonym #0298117 to register in WebAdvisor. For more information, contact the NW continuing education department.

Sept. 4 NE health services will offer free HIV and syphilis testing 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in NSTU 1704A. The AIDS Outreach Center will give test results confidentially over the phone. Walk-ins are permitted, but appointments are encouraged. For more information or appointments, call administrative assistant Bernadette Yee at 817-515-6056.

Sept. 4 The South Campus Family Empowerment Center and TCC police will present Healthy Relationships 1-2 p.m. in SFOF 1738A. The class is free, but registration is required. To register, contact Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Sept. 4 SE health services is offering HIV testing 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in ESEC 2118. Testing is free and open to students, faculty and staff who are at least 18 years old and have a valid ID. For more information, call health services at 817-515-3591.

Sept. 4 SE career and employment services will host a job fair 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Main Commons. Students and the community can talk to employers from organizations like Amazon, the Mesquite Police Department, the Trinity River Authority and the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office. For more information, call office assistant Quietera Lomax at 817-515-3592.

Sept. 5 The SE Reading and Writing Resource Center will offer two workshops on Essay Essentials 3-3:30 p.m. and 7:30-8 p.m. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 5 SE student development services will host MHMR Workshop: Emergency Preparedness 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the Success Center (ESEE 1301). Tarrant County Mental Health Mental Retardation professionals Cathy Stout and James Turnage will present the workshop. For more information, call student support coordinator Sonya Splane at 815-515-3215.

Sept. 5 An orientation for students in the SE Campus First Choice Program will be 6-8 p.m. in the North Ballroom. For more information, call continuing education at 817-515-3420.

Sept. 6 SE senior education participants can attend an orientation 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the North Ballroom. For more information, call continuing education at 817-515-3420.