Names & Events

Now-Sept. 6 The TR Campus Discovery Center’s Survival Week runs 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in TRTR 3102. Presentations, which begin at 11:30 a.m., will highlight the skill sets students need for college success and available tutoring services. Refreshments will be served throughout the day. For more information, call academic success center coordinator Stevie Blakely at 817-515-1330.

Sept. 4 The SE Reading and Writing Resource Center will offer Writing with Technology 7:30-8 p.m. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 4 NW health services and the Support Staff Professional Development Committee will host Prevention and Understanding Alzheimer’s. Meharvan Singh, interim director of aging and Alzheimer’s disease research at the University of North Texas Health Science Center, will discuss the disease’s onsets and telltale signs and other related brain diseases and cancers. The seminar is 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in WACB 1123. Lunch will be available for those who register in WebAdvisor by using synonym #0298117. For more information, contact the NW continuing education department.

Sept. 4 NE health services will provide free HIV and syphilis testing 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in NSTU 1704A. Walk-ins are permitted, but appointments are encouraged. The AIDS Outreach Center will give test results confidentially over the phone. For more information or appointments, call administrative assistant Bernadette Yee at 817-515-6056.

Sept. 4 South Campus’ Family Empowerment Center and TCC police will present Healthy Relationships 1-2 p.m. in SFOF 1738A. The class is free, but registration is required. To register, call Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Sept. 4 SE career and employment services will host a job fair 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Main Commons. Students and the community can talk to employers from organizations like Amazon, the Mesquite Police Department, the Trinity River Authority and the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office. For more information, call office assistant Quietera Lomax at 817-515-3592.

Sept. 4 SE health services will provide HIV testing 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in ESEC 2118. Testing is free and open to students, faculty and staff who are at least 18 years old and have a valid ID. For more information, call health services at 817-515-3591.

Sept. 5 The SE Reading and Writing Resource Center will offer two workshops on Essay Essentials 3-3:30 p.m. and 7:30-8 p.m. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 5 SE student development services will host MHMR Workshop: Emergency Preparedness 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the Success Center (ESEE 1301). Tarrant County Mental Health Mental Retardation professionals Cathy Stout and James Turnage will present the workshop. For more information, call student support coordinator Sonya Splane at 815-515-3215.

Sept. 5 South Campus’ Family Empowerment Center will host a Jobs NOW search clinic 2-4 p.m. in Room 1738A. The clinic is free, but students must register ahead of time. For more information, call administrative assistant Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Sept. 5 An orientation for students in the SE Campus First Choice Program will be 6-8 p.m. in the North Ballroom. For more information, call continuing education at 817-515-3420.

Sept. 6 Applications for the 2013 Walter B. Cooper Memorial Scholarship are due at 5 p.m. online at www.txptk.org. More than $37 million in scholarships are available. Applicants must be active members of PTK at a community college and have a minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA. For more information, call PTK advisor Tyson McMillan at 817-515-1131.

Sept. 6 SE senior education participants can attend an orientation 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the North Ballroom. For more information, call continuing education at 817-515-3188.

Sept. 7 NW Campus will host Lake Fest 9 a.m.-4 p.m., a day planned for students and public citizens who have physical disabilities of any kind to come out to Marine Creek Lake. Free lunch is provided while participants have the opportunity to go water and jet skiing, tubing, hand cycling and more. The event is free. To water ski, participants must contact Metro Ski sponsor Blain Bridgford at 214-803-9955.

Sept. 9 The SE reading and writing resource center will offer an Essay Essentials workshop 10-10:30 a.m. in ESEE 2227A. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 9 The NE Student Government Association will sponsor a forum 12:30-1:30 p.m. in NSTU 1506. Students can participate or observe while the SGA discusses and votes on issues. Students can register for the forum at http://tccdne.volunteerhub.com. For more information, call student activities at 817-515-6688.

Sept. 9 First-time college students can attend the First-Year Experience Seminar noon-1 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus. The workshop is designed to help students get comfortable on campus and learn more about on-campus resources. For more information, call student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Sept. 9-10 SE student activities will host a Club Expo 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Main Commons. Representatives from various student organizations will provide information about their clubs and recruit new members. For more information, call student activities at 817-515-3595.

Sept. 9-12 SE student activities and advising and counseling will sponsor the annual Learning Skills Week. The event gives new, returning and transfer students the opportunity to strengthen their academic skills through various workshops. All the seminars will take place in the North Ballroom at varying times between 8:30 a.m.-8:20 p.m. Students can visit calendar.tccd.edu for a list and times of the seminars.

Sept. 10 Michael Anne Greer, director of the academic success center at Texas Wesleyan University, will present What’s Your Learning Style? 3-4 p.m. in the SSTU Fort Worth Room on South Campus. This workshop will allow students to identify their unique learning style and the best strategies to use in class and while studying. For more information, call student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Sept. 10 Students are invited to the NE Campus learning labs open house 9 a.m.-7 p.m. in NACB 1114. The writing center, language acquisition center, skills center, SOS center, computer learning center, math lab and science learning center will have staff present to talk to students about their services. For more information, call student activities at 817-515-6688.

Sept. 10 SE student development and education support services and Safe Haven of Tarrant County present Domestic Violence Workshop: Healthy Relationships a series of workshops on domestic violence 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the Success Center (ESEE1301). For more information, call student support coordinator Sonya Splane at 817-515-3215.

Sept. 10-11 The SE reading and writing resource center will offer three workshops on Grammar Basics 3-3:30 p.m. and 7:30-8 p.m. Sept. 10 and 10-10:30 a.m. Sept. 11 in ESEE 2227A. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 10-11 NW students can sign up for the two-day Student Success Conference. The workshops are designed to promote good study habits and physical and emotional well-being. More than 20 workshops include career advice and financial planning assistance. Claudia Garcia-Aceves, high school academic advisor, is keynote speaker, sponsored by TCC’s College Access and Community Outreach department. Students can register for this event with synonym 0298623 in WebAdvisor.

Sept. 11 South Campus student development services will host a note-taking workshop noon-1 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room. For more information, call student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Sept. 11 NE Campus student activities will host a luncheon for student organizations 12:30-2 p.m. in NSTU 1615A. Student activities will discuss new policy changes and upcoming events. Students can register for the luncheon at http://tccdne.volunteerhub.com. For more information, call student activities at 817-515-6688.

Sept. 11 Students can learn how to schedule for success and balance life by making a daily, weekly and monthly calendar in Time Management, the workshop sponsored by South Campus student development services 3-4 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room. For more information, call student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Sept. 11 SE advising and counseling will host Campus Resource Day 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Main Commons. Students can learn about the free resources available on campus that could help their experience at TCC. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 12 Math anxiety workshops will be held noon-1 p.m. and 3-4 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus. Students can learn techniques to help them reduce their math-related stress. For more information, call student development associate Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Sept. 12 The NE Student Leadership Academy will present ASK, Suicide Awareness and Prevention Training 12:30-1:30 p.m. in NSTU 1506. Students can register for this event at http://tccdne.volunteerhub.com. For more information, call student development associate Amity Womelsdorff at 817-515-6582.

Sept. 12 SE health services will host a bone marrow registry 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Main Commons. For more information, call health services at 817-515-3591.

Sept. 12 The SE reading and writing resource center will offer two MLA Format/Library Database workshops 3-3:30 p.m. and 7:30-8 p.m. in ESEE 2227A. For more information, call the center at 817-515-3808.

Sept. 12 TR’s semi-annual Club Crawl will be held 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on TRTR Main Street. Students can pick up information from the campus’ major clubs all in one place. Phi Theta Kappa, Games United, Christians on Campus and Texas Nursing Students Association are among the clubs.