Names & Events

Connor Branach and Priscilla Hatcher, members of the NE speech and debate team, brought back honors from the Bayou City Swing Tournament at San Jacinto College in Houston. The tournament consisted of 20 teams from across Texas and a few out-of-state schools. Branach was awarded fourth place in Informative Speaking and was a semifinalist in Impromptu Speaking. Hatcher was a semifinalist in Prose Interpretation.

Nov. 11  In recognition of Veterans Day, SE Campus will hold a ceremony 11 a.m.-noon recognizing those who have served. A Veterans Transfer Fair will be 9 a.m.-noon in the Commons. Representatives from 12 universities will be on hand to answer questions. For more information, call Terrell Shaw at 817-515-3382. Other campuses are also sponsoring Veterans Day events.  The Collegian file photo
Nov. 11
In recognition of Veterans Day, SE Campus will hold a ceremony 11 a.m.-noon recognizing those who have served. A Veterans Transfer Fair will be 9 a.m.-noon in the Commons. Representatives from 12 universities will be on hand to answer questions. For more information, call Terrell Shaw at 817-515-3382. Other campuses are also sponsoring Veterans Day events. The Collegian file photo

Nov. 6 Concepts of Lifetime Wellness and Culinary Arts students will hold a student-led health fair 9 a.m-12:30 p.m. in the ESEC North Ballroom on SE Campus. The interactive fair will provide opportunities to participate in physical activity and sample quick and healthy recipes.

Nov. 6 NE health services and the AIDS Outreach Center will hold free confidential HIV and/or syphilis testing 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in NSTU 1704A. Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are permitted on a first-come, first-served basis.

Nov. 6 Phi Theta Kappa and NE student activities will present Student Success Seminar: College Fish: Academic Resumes and Scholarship Essays 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A).

Nov. 6 The South Campus writing center will hold a Scholarship and College Essay Writing Workshop 1-2 p.m. in SCLC 0106. Students will learn essential components of the writing process such as organization, proofreading and final revisions.

Nov. 6 SE Campus is hosting an Emergency Management Workshop 5:30-7 p.m. in the North Ballroom (ESEC 1102). The presentation will demonstrate necessary preparedness skills and life-saving techniques for emergency situations.

Nov. 6, 7 The SE reading and writing resource center will offer an introduction workshop 11:30 a.m.-noon Nov. 6 and two workshops 3-3:30 p.m. and 7:30-8 p.m. Nov. 7 in the center (ESEE 2227A). For more information, call the center at 817-515-3850.

Nov. 7 The American Cancer Society and health services are enrolling participants for a 20-year cancer prevention study. Recruitment will take place in the TREF health services office on TR Campus. The study will determine how genetics, lifestyle and environment work together to cause or prevent cancer. Participants must be 30-65, have never had cancer, be willing to give a small blood sample, be measured and commit to completing periodic surveys over a 20-year period. Reservations are required, and those interested in participating should schedule an appointment and take an online survey at cancerstudyTX.org. For more information about the study or to register by phone, call 1-888-604-5888.

Nov. 7 NE career services will hold an information session, Examples of What a Cover Letter “Hook” Might Encompass, 10 a.m.-noon in the NSTU Bookstore hallway.

Nov. 7 Cathy Stout and James Turnage of Tarrant County Mental Health Mental Retardation will present Mental Health First Aid, Part 1 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the Success Center (ESEE 1301) on SE Campus. The first in a two-part series, this workshop is designed to provide attendees with the skills and knowledge to deal with different psychological issues.

Nov. 7 The Texas Veterans Commission will be in the TR Campus Zone noon-1 p.m. as part of Veterans Awareness Month. Veterans will discuss ways to secure their benefits earned in exchange for their service through the nation’s armed forces. For more information, call student activities associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Nov. 7 Men of Color Mentoring is sponsoring Dollars and Sense noon-1:30 p.m. in NSTU 1506 on NE Campus. Attendees will receive information on financial aid, work study programs and personal finance.

Nov. 8 South Campus’ continuing education services is hosting an African-American Professionals Conference 8 a.m.-5 p.m. in the Student Center. For more information, call 817-515-4392.

Nov. 8 Round one of the Jim Bolen Math Competition will take place simultaneously on all five campuses at 1:30-3 p.m. in NTAB 2223 on NE Campus, WTLO 2114 on NW, ESEE 1112 on SE, TRTR 3814 on TR and SNUR 1101 on South. The competition is open to all TCC students. Registration is not required. Students needing to register must arrive by 1:30 p.m. Pre-registered students should arrive by 1:45 p.m. More than $100,000 in scholarships and prizes are available for winners districtwide. For more information, call NE associate math professor Olena Shevchenko at 817-515-6563.

Nov. 8 NW mathematicians will receive free pizza and soft drinks for competing in round one of the Jim Bolen Math Competition. Participants will meet at 1:30 p.m. in WTLO 2114. For more details, contact NW math instructors John Martin at 817-515-7042 or Jeff Brignac at 817-515-7344.

Nov. 9 The SE library presents NaNoWriMo 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the library classroom. Students and faculty will learn creative writing tips that will help anyone participating in the National Novel Writing Month by taking on the challenge of writing 50,000 words of fiction in one month. For more information, call the library at 817-515-3084.

Nov. 11 In recognition of Veterans Day, SE Campus will hold a ceremony 11 a.m.-noon recognizing those who have served. A Veterans Transfer Fair will be 9 a.m.-noon in the Commons. Representatives from 12 universities will be on hand to answer questions. For more information, call Terrell Shaw at 817-515-3382. Other campuses are also sponsoring Veterans Day events.

Nov. 11 The TR Veterans Association will be part of the Fort Worth Veterans Day Parade. Students, faculty and staff are invited to join, and free shirts will be available to the first 60 parade participants. All participants should be in the TR Rotunda by 9:15. At 12:15, the Veterans Day ceremony will begin in the Rotunda. For more information, call student activities associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Nov. 11 In honor of those who have served in the armed forces, South Campus will hold a Veterans Day Celebration noon-2 p.m. in the SSTU Living Room.

Nov. 11 The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion will present the Campus Diversity Survey and Strategic Plan for NE Campus 2-5 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615). The results of last fall’s campus-specific student and employee diversity and inclusion survey, as well as applications of the data plan of action for the Diversity and Inclusion Council, will be discussed. For more information, call 817-515-5131.

Nov. 11 Family Pathfinders will offer a Financial Coaching and Education Program 5:30-7 p.m. in the Family Empowerment Center (SFOD 1738A) on South Campus. This ongoing series will provide information on banking, budgeting, borrowing, credit and wealth-building. Registration is required and limited to 15 attendees. For more information, call administrative assistant Kimberly Smith at 817-515-4332.

Nov. 11 In honor of National Novel Writing Month, TCC graduate and employee Edmund Tamakloe will speak 7-8 p.m. in the Library (ESED 1200) on SE Campus. Tamakloe will discuss his personal writing process and how writing fiction, memoir and a blog has affected his life.

Nov. 12 NE Campus will host Suicide Awareness and Prevention Day 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). Organizations, individuals as well as government and local agencies will promote suicide awareness and prevention and discuss mental illness associated with suicide. Presentations will include monologues, music and dance interpretations. The event includes a candlelight ceremony to remember those who have died from suicide. For more, call 817-515-6661.

Nov. 12 SafeHaven of Tarrant County will present Communication Matters, a workshop discussing domestic violence, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the Success Center (ESEE 1301) on SE Campus. Julie Bassett, a prevention specialist, will teach effective communication techniques and steps to building positive relationships.

Nov. 13 The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion will present the Campus Diversity Survey and Strategic Plan for South Campus 9 a.m.-noon in the Living Room (SSTU 2105). The results of last fall’s campus-specific student and employee diversity and inclusion survey, as well as applications of the data plan of action for the Diversity and Inclusion Council, will be discussed. For more information, call 817-515-5131.

Nov. 13 The Family Empowerment Center and The Women’s Center of Tarrant County are hosting a Jobs NOW Orientation on South Campus. Students seeking employment can attend the event 2-3 p.m. in the demo kitchen in the FEC Training Room (SFOF 1738A). For more, call administrative assistant Kimberly Smith at 817-515-6563.

Nov. 13 The next NW Campus Leadership Academy deals with time management. Students will learn different strategies that track time usage and help participants think about where their time goes. No registration is required for the seminar 2-4 p.m. in the Michael Saenz Conference Center (WACB 1123).

Nov. 14 South health services and Carter BloodCare will hold a blood drive 9 a.m.–3 p.m. in the mobile unit on the SSTU patio. Donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh more than 110 pounds, have a valid photo ID and have not donated within 56 days. Those interested are encouraged to be well-hydrated and have eaten recently before donating. For more information, call South health services at 817-515-4531.

Nov. 14 South health services and the AIDS Outreach Center will provide HIV testing 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in SACC 1331. Results will be given confidentially over the phone. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 817-515-4531.

Nov. 14 South Campus career services along with the VET Success Center will hold a Veterans Resource Fair 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the SSTU Cafeteria. The resource fair is open to the public. This will give veterans an opportunity to network with community agencies, learn how to access quality health care and receive information about how to transfer to a four-year college. For more information, call career center coordinator Monica Miranda at 817-515-4737.

Nov. 14 NE academic advisor Randy Saleh will tell students how to use their money in a responsible way in Make Your Month Outlast Your Money 11:30 a.m-12:30 p.m. in the Community Room (NBSS 1103). Participants must register online through the Volunteer Hub. For more, call financial aid associate Andrew Rodriguez at 817-515-6044.

Nov. 14 VA North Texas Healthcare System representatives will be in the TR Zone noon-1 p.m. to discuss health care benefits. For more information, call student activities associate Eddie Brassart at 817-515-1192.

Nov. 14 Students can celebrate Native American Heritage Month. South student activities will hold the event noon-1:30 p.m. in the SSTU Living Room. For more information, call Axel Leos at 817-515-4187.

Nov. 14 The NE history department and student activities will present Time Management 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). This presentation by NE history instructor Andy Hollinger will help students to better understand the process of time management and ways to effectively formulate a study plan.

Nov. 14 In celebration of National Novel Writing Month, the South Campus Library and Writing Center will hold a Write-In 6-10 p.m. in the library. NaNoWriMo participants can collaborate with other writers and concentrate on the creative writing process. The free event is open to the public. For more information, call Pam Pfeiffer at 817-515-4436.

Nov. 15 Students interested in transferring to the University of North Texas can experience the school firsthand through TCC & Me on the Go: UNT Transfer Open House 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Transportation is provided from TR Campus to UNT. Students will tour the campus, meet UNT students and learn how TCC credits will transfer. The event is free, but limited seats are available, so registration is required. For more information, call Laura Escamilla at 817-515-1144 or visit the TR transfer center (TRTR 1020).

Nov. 15 SE Campus’ Health Occupations Only club will be in the North Ballroom 1-4 p.m. collecting donations of gently used coats, shoes, toiletries, canned goods and toys for Mission Arlington.