Names & Events

Sept. 23-24 Students can learn how to set up documents through the MLA format in a NW Campus Bridge Program workshop 2-2:30 p.m. in WTLO 3411A. For more information, contact Bridge Program assistant Talisha Simpson at 817-515-7657.

Sept. 23-24 TR health services will provide free, confidential HIV testing for students 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sept. 23 and 2-5 p.m. Sept. 24 in TREF 1312A. Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are accepted. Students should allow 30-45 minutes for a testing session. For more information, contact health services coordinator Angela Virgin at 817-515-1059.

Sept. 23 TR health services continues its Carter BloodCare blood drive with a mobile unit in the TRE parking lot 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Sept. 23

TR health services continues its Carter BloodCare blood drive with a mobile unit in the TRE parking lot 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Sept. 23 TR students can learn practical skills for managing finances and spending money responsibly in Know Before You Owe 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on TRTR Main Street. Four presentations about resources available on and off campus will be held in the Riverfront Café. For more information, contact student development assistant A.J. Duron at andreanna.duron@tccd.edu.

Sept. 23 The NE advising and counseling center will hold the second of five financial literacy workshops for students Credit Basics: How Money Works will be 3:30-4:30 p.m. in the Community Room (NBSS 1103). This session will discuss the importance of credit in the world today. For more information, contact special services coordinator Ronda Isaacs at 817-515-6244.

Sept. 24 The NW Bridge Program will hold a workshop over learning the MLA format 2-2:30 p.m. in WTLO 3411A. For more information, contact Bridge Program assistant Talisha Simpson at 817-515-7657.

Sept. 24 NE student activities will host the first of five student success seminars. What Is College All About? will take place 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the Darlage Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). Students will learn new insights into college life. For more information, contact student activities coordinator Cara Walker at cara.walker@tccd.edu.

Sept. 24 NW career services will begin its JOB Series over resumes and cover letters 12:15-1:15 p.m. in WSTU 1406. The workshop goes over the format and writing styles for both resumes and cover letters. For more information, contact career services at 817-515-7785.

Sept. 25, 30 The SE library will show free screenings of Ken Burns’ The Dust Bowl as a part of its Dust, Drought, and Dreams Gone Dry: A Traveling Exhibit 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 25 and again 5-9:30 p.m. Sept. 30. For more information, contact library services assistant director Tracey Minzenmayer at 817-515-3388.

Sept. 25 TR students can attend the 27th Leadership eXperience Summit: Diversity in Leading 12:30-3:30 p.m. in Action Suite A. Community activist Eva Bonilla will speak about the most helpful leadership lessons she has learned. After the keynote speech, breakout sessions will give students a chance to learn more about leadership skills that interest them. Interested students should RSVP to http://tccd.student-hub.com. For more information, contact TR center for leadership development coordinator Stevie Blakely at stephanie.blakely@tccd.edu or at 817-515-1330.

Sept. 25 NE student ambassadors will host its first fundraising Car Smash event noon-3 p.m. at parking lot E by the tennis courts. Students can release stress by smashing cars while listening to music. All of the money raised will sponsor other charitable events that take place throughout the year. This event costs $1 per smash per car, or students may stare for free. For more information, contact student ambassador president Quynh Nguyen at quynh.nguyen599@my.tccd.edu.

Sept. 28 SE student activities will hold Bank Day in the SE Commons. Attendees will be offered information about local banks’ services, promotions and other financial information. Contact the student activities office for more information at 817-515-3084.

Sept. 29 The SE North Ballroom will host An Environmental History of The Dust Bowl, a discussion on the environmental factors that caused the 1930s drought. Christopher Morris, University of Texas at Arlington history professor, will speak as a part of the Dust, Drought, and Dreams Gone Dry: A Traveling Exhibit. For more information, contact library services assistant director Tracey Minzenmayer at 817-515-3084.

Sept. 29 NW career services will host a volunteer and service learning fair 9:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. in the WSTU hallway. Students can meet with nonprofit organizations and learn ways to volunteer throughout the community. For more information, contact career services at 817-515-7785.

Sept. 29 TR students can attend Clublife Workshop: Meeting Madness to learn how to lead an effective club meeting 2-3 p.m. in the Idea Store. For more information, contact student activities coordinator Eddie Brassart at edward.brassart@tccd.edu.

Sept. 29 NE student activities and Phi Theta Kappa will host the second of the Student Leadership Academy sessions 12:30-1:30 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. in the Galley (NSTU 1506). Students will discuss the philosophy of leadership and how it pertains to the world today. Lunch and dinner will be served. For more information, contact student activities coordinator Cara Walker at cara.walker@tccd.edu.

Sept. 30-Oct. 1 The NW Bridge Program will teach a workshop on editing and writing 11-11:30 a.m. in WTLO 3411A. The workshop focuses on identifying and revising fragments and run-on sentences. For more information, contact Bridge Program assistant Talisha Simpson at 817-515-7657.

Oct. 1 NE career services will host an employment networking event 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the NSTU hallway. Two Minute Commercial will show students how to pitch effectively to potential employers. For more information, contact NE career services at 817-515-6692.

Oct. 2 The SE library will present Backyard Conservation on how to improve the health of a yard 11:45 a.m.-12:40 p.m. The event is a continuation of the Dust, Drought, and Dreams Gone Dry exhibit. For more information, contact the library reference desk at 817-515-3084.

Oct. 3 The SE library will hold a viewing of the documentary Ken Burns’ The Dust Bowl 10 a.m.-3 p.m. as a part of its Dust, Drought, and Dreams Gone Dry exhibit. For more information, contact library services assistant director Tracey Minzenmayer at 817-515-3388.