Native tradition celebrated in NE event

11122014_powwow
Circle of Nations hosts a Native American cultural celebration on NE Nov. 10, which included traditional drumming, singing and dance. Audience members could ask questions at the end.

Spiritual elder Cliff Quetone erects a teepee alone. The art has been passed down for generations through his family.

Drums were struck and feet pounded the ground in time during the Native American cultural celebration Nov. 10 on NE Campus.

Hosted by the Circle of Nations club, Native elder and spiritual leader Cliff Quetone erected a teepee and the Bear Claw Drum Group performed seven songs accompanied by traditional dance.

“We feel like it’s really important to share our heritage and educate the community,” NE academic advisor Marjeanna Burge said. “This is more of a cultural celebration.”

Native American guests Dennis and Marjorie Begay performed tribal dances in traditional dress, which included solo female and male performances, an appreciation song and a friendship dance that involved audience members.

NE student Summer Finley found the whole ceremony interesting, especially the dancing.

“I liked the traditional outfits. It’s a very good way of seeing the culture,” she said. “I like how they talked to us more in depth than just what the textbooks tell us.”

Dennis Begay in traditional costume performs a solo dance during the Circle of Nations cultural celebration. He relocated from Arizona to Texas. Photos by Eric Rebosio/The Collegian

The month of November is Native American Heritage Month. Check inside this issue for a calendar of events.

— Dylan Bradley