NE martial arts offers new fitness outlook

NE students Alex Garcia and Kayla Hernandez practice their kicks. Photos by Alex Hoben/The Collegian
NE students Alex Garcia and Kayla
Hernandez practice their kicks.
Photos by Alex Hoben/The Collegian

RABBIA MOLAI
rabbia.molai@my.tccd.edu

NE Campus’ martial arts programs take a different approach to the familiar fitness course. 

There are many different physical fitness courses offered at TCC, and although for most non-kinesiology majors only the generic health and wellness is required, many students are beginning to branch out and explore other options. 

Along with basic and intermediate self-defense courses, basic and intermediate kickboxing courses are also offered. By taking the course, students will begin to understand the fundamentals of kickboxing, ranging from classic punch combinations and kicking styles to balance technique and conditioning training. 

NE student Mathew Monson said he began taking kickboxing as a way to bond with his friends and focus on his fitness, but it has now come to mean much more to him. 

He spoke about the importance of being able to defend himself and how being in a kickboxing course has made him feel more empowered and prepared if a dire situation may arise.

“I’ve learned a lot,” Monson said. “It’s a great way to teach people self-defense and to get them in shape as well.”

The classes have a mix of students ranging from beginners who have never taken part in a martial arts course to more experienced students. 

NE student Andrew Bowen has been studying the art of Wing Chun, a Southern Chinese kung fu style, since he was 15. He said his prior experience has given him insight into some of the techniques in the class, but he has still learned a lot.

“The program here is very well-rounded,” Bowen said. “It has really good instructors. It starts off really basic, but it can grow pretty quickly if you put in the effort.”

TR instructor of kinesiology Melanie Rose welcomes students of all skill levels to take the course. She is currently an amateur fighter specializing in both Muay Thai and Boxing. For her, the most important thing was that her students understand the importance of learning to defend themselves, as well as picking up a love for the sport.

“I was doing kickboxing outside of TCC as well, specifically Muay Thai, and then I got more into boxing because I hurt my hip,” Rose said. “I want to inspire other people to use it for weight loss, for a confidence booster and for more strength and courage.”

Many of the students were more inclined to take these courses because of the passion the professors have for them as well. Both Monson and Bowen had taken the basic health and wellness course with Rose and said a big reason they chose to take another course was because of her teaching style and ability to keep students of all levels engaged.

“I’m able to modify the workouts to make them easier or more challenging for a big variety of people,” Rose said. “In this class, there are people who have never done this before, and there are people who have lots of experience, so they may have the same workout, but everyone will feel like they’re getting something out of it.”