NE play goes back in time through song

By Matt Koper/ne news editor

NE drama will perform a musical that highlights a time filled with big hair and rock ’n’ roll.

The Wedding Singer: The Musical will run April 29-May 2 at 7 p.m. in the NFAB theater on NE Campus.

The musical is set in New Jersey in the ’80s and follows wedding singer Robbie Hart and his search for love after being left at the altar by his fiancée.

NE adjunct instructor Susan Polster, who directs the musical, said she is excited to put on the performance for the first time.

“Well, because I was in college in the 1980s is the reason I picked this,” she said, “and my choreographer as well. We’re the same age. And to us, this was our heyday — MTV, big-hair bands, you know rock ’n’ roll. So, my expectations are really high because I have very specific memories of this era.”

NE student Wyatt Tackle, who plays Robbie Hart, said portraying his character in a relatable way is important to the show’s success.

“You have to understand your character and figure out how to make the audience understand your character,” he said. “So that’s a step a lot of people miss in translation.”

Victoria Morales, who plays Julia Sullivan, said the characters in the musical relate to the actors off of the stage.

“It’s an easy, fun show for us because everybody got a part that suited their real-life personality,” she said.

Student Coy Rubalcaba plays Glenn, the wealthy big-shot set to marry Julia, and said he has to be arrogant on stage.

“Really, preparing for him is on your best day. You know this is your day,” he said. “You’re cocky. You have a cocky attitude.”

Student Xavier Loudermilk plays George, one of Robbie’s bandmates. He said his character helps keep the show lighthearted and funny.

“Just like in himself and in his character, he’s really flamboyant, and he says things that just have that sense of relief, that everything doesn’t need to be serious,” Loudermilk said.

Rubalcaba said he hopes the audience leaves the show with a new idea about love.

“Even though it is a comedy of heartbreak and everything like that, I want people to leave with the thought of ‘OK, no matter what, you’re always going to find the one,’” he said. “Because everybody finds the one, except Glenn.”

The Wedding Singer: 

The Musical 

7 p.m. April 29-May 2

2 p.m. May 2

NFAB theater, NE Campus

Tickets

General admission; $6

Non-TCC students, seniors: $3

TCC students, faculty, staff: free

Reservations

neplayhouse@tccd.edu