NE Pride Club provides safe space

BOOKER DOUGLAS
Reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

NE students voiced the importance of safe spaces for the LGBTQ+ community.

In recent news, rights of autonomy have been under attack for the LGBTQ+ community, namely transgender people.

For people that identify as transgender, certain states, including Texas, have made it even more difficult for them to begin hormone replacement therapy, as well as undergo any surgeries they would prefer to have.

Some believe that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community offers a sense of togetherness, and many high schools and colleges have LGBTQ+ friendly clubs or areas dedicated to a safe space.

“I believe that safe spaces are very important for the LGBTQ+ community. These spaces give a place where we are allowed to be ourselves without fear,” Claire Thompson, president of the LGBTQ+ Pride Club at NE, said. “Being a part of this club has given me a space to make friends and find community without judgment. This is something I feel like everyone deserves a space like that.”

NE student Jane Mahoney, vice president of the NE LGBTQ+ Pride Club, said safe spaces on college campuses are vital, as it may be the only safe space in someone’s life.

“For many club members, pride is one of the only safe places,” Mahoney said. “Numerous members will try out a new name or pronoun during the meetings. I firmly believe that having a safe space, such as a pride club, can be incredibly helpful for other members of the LGBTQ+ community to connect and experiment on campus.”

For many, the term queer sparks mixed feelings. Some believe the term is outdated, others feel it is offensive, as it was used primarily as a derogatory term against those in the community. But most feel that the word queer deserves to be reclaimed as a term of power.

Andee Rodriguez, the advisor of the LGBTQ+ Pride Club at NE, feels empowered when using the umbrella term and is proud to be their authentic self.

“Any spaces dedicated to affirm and celebrate queer identities is much needed and appreciated. It is a lifeline for many folks to stay connected to the community,” Rodriguez said. “I am partial to the word queer. It is who I am through and through. Many oppressive groups like to weaponize words and language to oppress and suppress people. Queer is no exception.”

Rodriguez continued to say that they appreciated how liberating language can be. They expressed how excited they were to explore outside the binary and live outside the box.

“Words and language were used as a tool to suppress, but now by reclaiming it we have reclaimed our power in many ways,” Rodriguez said. “I celebrate reclaiming and creating new language that helps us find and strengthen our community.”