NE PTK honored nationally

By Joshua West

Phi Theta Kappa’s NE Campus chapter received several awards at the organization’s national convention April 7-9 in Washington.

The chapter won an award for its Honors in Action project, Intersectional Identity/What’s on My Plate. Students created a project dealing with expressing individual identity. They used art, painting ceramic plates, to illustrate the meaning of different identities.

Individual members and advisers also received recognition for their achievements: student development services vice president Maggie de la Teja, Distinguished College Administrator Award; English assistant professor and chapter adviser Shewanda Riley, Distinguished Adviser Award; Jeanell Buck, Paragon Award; Matthew Pandolfo and Damon Walker, Distinguished Member Award. The chapter also took home a Top 100 Chapter Award.

“The students are given awards based on the quality of the projects they submit,” Riley said. “Every year, each chapter has an opportunity to win awards on their projects.”

Phi Theta Kappa is a two-year college club that requires students to earn a 3.5 GPA and an invitation to join.

“The conference takes place every year as part of Phi Theta Kappa’s purpose in recognizing student achievement, in the focus on leadership development, as well as scholarships,” Riley said.

NE chapter president Rebecca Reyes said she enjoyed the convention.

“It feels great to have our chapter be recognized, regardless of whether we had won any awards or not,” she said. “I am really proud of the projects that we created and all the people who made them possible.”