NE shows off ceramics

By Heather Horton/entertainment editor

Elizabeth Bowman, Elephant Teapot
Elizabeth Bowman, Elephant Teapot

Creatively inclined students are exhibiting their ceramic creations on NE Campus through Feb. 12.

The exhibition Intentionally Ceramic is on display in the library and showcases works crafted by students currently enrolled in Ceramics II class.

Art associate professor Karmien Bowman helps students develop their skills to eventually produce functional clay art.

“I love to have my students exhibit and especially exhibit in the library because they get more professional experience as artists,” she said.

Located directly inside the library next to the information center, 14 pieces of art are presented on top of seven pillars with notecards attributing credit to each specific artist.

Betty Parsell, a continuing education student, shared insight into her journey with the clay process.

“I retired from real estate and had to have something to do,” she said. “So I came up here and took a class from Karmien ‘Sweetie’ Bowman, and I just found my niche. I loved it.”

Because continuing education classes are available to senior citizens free of charge, Parsell has enjoyed taking classes on NE Campus for 13 years.

“I have to have something to do all the time, so this is my outlet,” she said.

She explained how working with clay is a fluid process.

“It can sometimes be frustrating when the clay wants to do something, and you want to do something else,” she said. “The clay wins.”

Gratification is finally accomplished when the ceramic is completed. Parsell says the success she feels is rewarding.

“It’s like giving birth to a child or something,” she said.

Parsell said when the exhibition ends, she takes home her work and offers first dibs to her children before selling it.

Ralph Tobin also creates art through the medium of clay and has work displayed in the library.

“Clay forms itself,” he said. “It takes the shape it wants to take.”

Tobin has learned to accept “happy accidents” as part of the artistic process.

“You take what you get,” he said. “There are no guarantees.”

He also feels a familial bond with his art pieces and wants to make sure each one goes to a good home.

Art department chair Martha Gordon is supportive of the student’s work on display.

“The show encompasses the depth and the seriousness of the students,” she said. “It reflects certainly well on the department and the job that Karmien and [adjunct insructor] Mary Becker have done.”

Photos by Haylie Jones/The Collegian  Ralph Tobin, Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone
Photos by Haylie Jones/The Collegian Ralph Tobin, Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone
Tyler Huckabee, Armadillo
Tyler Huckabee, Armadillo
Ralph Tobin, Water of love deep in the ground