NE speech students to illustrate talents

By Susan Tallant/editor-in-chief

Speech and debate students invite the community to join them this week on NE Campus for two events to showcase talents and raise money.

The event will feature platform speeches including informative, persuasive and entertaining speeches as well as interpretive events such as prose, poetry, drama and poi (programmed oral interpretation), Irene Thrower, speech instructor, said.

“Speech night is a fundraiser for the speech and debate team to try to raise enough money to pay for our first trip to an international tournament in London this spring,” she said.

The next night will bring Open mic night, which gives all students and community members a chance to shine.

Here is a breakdown of each event:

Speech Night
What: NE speech and debate team fundraiser
When: Friday, Nov. 16, 6:30 p.m.
Where: NFAB Theater
Why: Showcase speech and debate team’s forensic talents and accomplishments, gain knowledge and awareness about this student club and raise money to participate in the 2008 International Forensic Association in London.
Cost: $3 donation
Information: 817-515-6638 or irene.thrower@tccd.edu

Open Mic Venue
What: Talent show/fundraiser sponsored by the speech and debate club
When: Saturday, Nov. 17, 8-11 p.m.
Where: NFAB Theater
Why: A way for all performers, including poets, acoustic artists, singers, monologues, dancers, magicians, comedians, yo-yo masters or any other ability, to share talents with the speech and debate club and the community, and raise funds for the club.
Cost: Free, donations accepted at door, refreshments will be sold.
Information: Contact Amy Arellano at amy.arellano@tccd.edu to sign up for a performance slot.