NE student coach leads two basketball teams to playoff positions

By John Harden/sports editor

Pacing back and forth along the sidelines, NE student Dolyn Mayo observes a basketball game in progress.

He watches the performance of each team on the court from the sidelines and notes every move each team makes.

During the game, Mayo yells at the players on the court to “Play tighter defense,” or “Run the ball,” and throws out a “Good job, team.”

When the intramural season begins, most students can’t wait to take the field or step on the court to win big for their team. But this semester, Mayo decided to take a role not commonly seen among students.

His name is Dolyn, but some of the basketball players call him coach.

Mayo played last spring in the intramurals but noticed that his team lacked the focus and organization needed to win.

“I took it upon myself to become a coach because I believe I know where we went wrong last year,” he said. “Whenever we played selfish ball, we lost.”

Mayo said he has found the right road to the championship.

“It was last year, and we seemed very unorganized,” he said. “We made it to the championship, but everyone wanted to be Kobe [Bryant]. The other team won because they illustrated more teamwork than we did.”

To correct the mistakes of last spring, Mayo decided to trade in his jersey for the traditional coach attire: dress shirt, slacks, dress shoes and a tie.

“Not only does he play the part well, he also looks the part,” said NE counselor Amos McCluney. “He looks like he knows what he’s doing out there.”

Mayo’s coaching role has been the subject of a few conversations in the gym and has impressed NE intramural director Bart Desender.

“It’s amazing what he’s doing,” Desender said. “His team listens to him, and he’s their age. It’s like they’re little puppy dogs eating out of his hand.”

Mayo takes his coaching role seriously and refuses to let players disrespect him.

“I’ve had one time where a player decided he wasn’t going to listen,” he said. “And usually after the game, if we have a problem, we’ll correct it.”

Mayo strives for team chemistry and believes the lack of chemistry among players can hurt a team.

Prior to the start of the tournament, Mayo scouted players for his basketball team.

He observed players in the gym and noticed which ones worked best with each other.

After careful searching, Mayo found enough players for not one but two teams.

Instead of giving the teams names, each team in the tournament was numbered. Mayo coaches both Team One and Team Five.

“I like his energy,” said Team One player Dustin Myers. “He keeps us awake out on the court and keeps us aware of what’s going on.”

This semester, both of Mayo’s teams have proved to be major contenders for the NE championship.

Mayo said he doesn’t have a favorite team but does have an idea who will win based on past performances.

“I won’t say who I think will win. I can’t have either team hating me,” he said.

“But they’re both good teams, but then again, it’s anyone’s guess.”

A week before the championship, Mayo’s teams met for the first time on Friday. Mayo decided not to coach either team and chose to observe only.

“I just decided that I’m going to let them duke it out,” he said. “I don’t want a team to think that I favor one over the other.”

In their first meeting, Team One narrowly beat Team Five, 55-53, and clinched first place in the playoffs.

On Friday, Teams One and Five will fight for a chance to play in the championship game.

Although Mayo said he would like to win the championship, it’s not always about winning.

After the tournament, Mayo plans to continue his role as coach in the intercampus tournament.

The championship basketball teams from South, SE, NE and NW will meet April 11 on South Campus to battle for the district basketball championship.

“I think the other campus teams have good talent, but I believe we have better teamwork and chemistry between the players, and I believe we can take them,” Mayo said.