Nerds rejoice with “Dungeons & Dragons” film

Chris Pine and Justice Smith’s characters Edgin the Bard and Simon the sorcerer on top of horses as they travel around the magical realm of “Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.” The movie premiered in theaters on March 31. Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures
Chris Pine and Justice Smith’s characters Edgin the Bard and Simon the sorcerer on top of horses as they travel around the
magical realm of “Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.” The movie premiered in theaters on March 31.
Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures

ALEX HOBEN
alexandra.hoben@my.tccd.edu

The daring and darling world of “Dungeons & Dragons” has been brought to the big screen in the best way possible in “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.”

This movie was able to do something that most nerds back in the early 90s could have only dreamed of: it made the world of fantasy tabletop roleplaying look as cool and breathtaking to the masses as it does to the players themselves.

With a star-studded cast, fantastic special effects and heart-pounding fight choreography, the viewer is brought into a vibrantly beautiful world of magic and adventure. Where dragons and dwarves are real and more than likely trying to kill you, and riches beyond your wildest dream are possible if you’re only crafty enough to get them.

The main group of characters, led by Chris Pine’s character Edgin Darvis, are a rag-tag group of people who band together to fight a common enemy, and if that doesn’t scream the start to a “D&D” campaign then nothing does. The group consists of the standard makings of any fantasy party: a bard, a barbarian, a sorcerer and a druid. All that’s missing is an acrobat.

The story is pretty basic, but in this case that simplicity made the overall experience easier to enjoy. The worst kinds of fantasy stories are the ones that require hours of pouring over dark and dismal lore just so that you can understand the movie that you’re watching. None of that’s required for this one. It’s just that those who have spent a lot of time playing “D&D” will recognize so many more references than the ones who didn’t.

It’s obvious that the people who were behind the writing of the movie cared about the games and had played one or two campaigns themselves. The movie references several items, spells and even places all within “D&D” lore. The group travels along the “Spine of the World” the great mountains in the north all the way to the bustling city of “Neverwinter.” Both of these are very recognizable names in the “D&D” world but to non-player viewers would just be cool fantasy names.

The actors put on a pretty good performance in this movie as well. Chris Pine has a great on-screen presence that really helped nail a lot of the comedic beats. Michelle Rodriguez, though not the first person you’d think to be in a nerdy movie, plays a fantastic barbarian and has some of the best fight scenes in the movie. Regé-Jean Page did great, as expected, and added an element to the movie that would be fantastic to explore more in a sequel if it’s ever made.

The villains and monsters in this movie are well-made. The special effects for the magic and the mayhem that happened during the fights was well-done. Even the costuming of the characters themselves looked like they just stepped out of the “Player’s Handbook.”

This movie made “D&D,” a game that has meant so much to so many people but was stigmatized for the longest time, approachable and enjoyable to the general public. People will now be looking up what owlbears are and how Sophia Lillis’ character Doric could turn into one, or what kind of spells Justice Smith’s character Simon could learn, or even just look up what kind of instrument Chris Pine kept playing in the movie.

“Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” is an action-packed, magic-filled and heartwarming tale that seasoned players and non-players alike can enjoy, and maybe those who haven’t played before will consider trying it because of this movie.