New Math Academy furthers skills

By Jonathan Resendez/south news editor

The new South Campus Mathematics Academy offers students more than basic tutoring and homework help.

Designed by Dr. Natalie Johnson, associate professor of mathematics, and Angela Sneed, computer science instructor, the program will host guest speakers from business and industry to conduct career awareness seminars throughout the semester.

The academy will also help students find paid and unpaid internships and externships to help them in particular career fields.

Geared toward math and engineering majors, the academy, part of a collaborative effort with independent area school districts, helps 200 middle and high school students with aspirations of working in the engineering and math fields.

Annette Wright, student and academy member, said the program provides skills and abilities needed in the professional world.

“Due to the existing competition, one must be prepared to be two steps ahead of your competitors or you will be doomed before you even get started,” she said. “However, the Mathematics Academy program is there for that purpose.”

During the second session which met March 31, Johnson encouraged the 20 students to relax as they bounced ideas off one another. Students filled out a questionnaire that fueled the discussions.

Student Narkeisha Moat said the math academy has taught her many powerful techniques she can use to accomplish her goals.

For more information, contact Natalie Johnson at 817-515-4340.