Newest NBA fouls technically stupid

Viewpoint by Marley Malenfant/se news editor

National Basketball Association commissioner David Stern is turning the league into a Cops show.

Every season, Stern seems to add a new rule, and his latest may have fans raise an eyebrow.

Referees who already have enough power to influence the games now can call a technical foul for lifting a face muscle. According to ESPN.com, they can call a technical for aggressive gestures such as air punches anywhere on the court, demonstrative disagreement, running directly at an official to complain about a call and excessive inquires about a call, even in a civilized tone.

The new rule can be understandable with players like Rasheed Wallace, who holds the record for most technical fouls. In the 2000-2001 season, Wallace received 41 technical fouls. The average per year is 12.

Fans don’t want to watch players squabbling with 50-year-old bald- or gray-haired men up and down the sideline. But the league doesn’t need to give officials absolute power over the game.

Tim Donaghy served 11 months in prison for betting on games that affected the point spread. Giving officials even more power to influence the game is the last thing Stern should be doing. 

Basketball is supposed to be a fast-paced game. Unlike football, players can’t hide their faces, so their emotions will be shown. The emotion adds drama to the game. Players shouldn’t be thrown out of a game over a disagreement with a call.

While the league doesn’t need another Wallace, it doesn’t need emotionless, robot-like players scared to make a fist pump or shout “and one” after a big shot because a ref may pull out his whistle.

On Nov. 17 in Detroit, Pistons player Richard Hamilton was ejected in the game’s first five minutes for arguing a foul call with the referee.

While the Pistons aren’t good this season, Hamilton is their best player, and referee Derrick Stafford shouldn’t have been so quick to blow his whistle. Fans don’t want to see the best player of their favorite team ejected out of the game, and it’s bad for TV.

I’m not sure if Stern ever played a game of basketball in his life. But Stern needs to learn how to play fair.