News Briefs

Student activities will discuss tenets of leadership during NE Campus seminar

By— Tyler Symone Mosley

As a part of its series of meetings, the NE Student Leadership Academy will host Building a Team Dec. 1.

Student activities staffers will discuss the importance of leadership and team-building 12:30-1:30 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. in the Galley (NSTU 1506).

“Students who are a part of the Leadership Academy are given assigned readings, and then we discuss these readings at our meetings,” student activities coordinator Cara Walker said.

The academy is open to all students who want to grow during the course of their college careers. It is managed by faculty members well qualified in teaching topics on self-awareness, service and leadership, Walker said.

“At the end of your course with the academy, you will earn Community and Industry credit and receive a certificate for completing the program,” she said.

All campuses have leadership opportunities. Students can contact student activities offices on their campuses for further details.

Communication skills necessary, says NE speech associate professor to students

By— Tyler Symone Mosley

Pressure can strain a relationship, a NE speech associate professor said Nov. 10.

Dan Schabot presented Managing Relationship Conflict for students and faculty on NE Campus.

“Pressure on relationships can be caused by pressure to always want to be first and not last,” he said.

To demonstrate pressure’s effects, Schabot had the audience play a game named Win as Much as You Can. Throughout the game, players showed how the pressure from wanting to win strained a relationship.

“Competition between one another can make a relationship fail,” Schabot said.

Some players even stopped working as a team.

“Communication in a relationship is key,” he said. “You should always have a game plan so one another won’t try to win as much as they can.”

Reactions can vary

By— Maaria Sabzwari

person to person, South students learn during workshop

As students, school is a training ground for the real world, a training specialist told South students Nov. 12.

During Transitioning Leadership Skills, Tracy Pierce explained how to take the training wheels off in a six-step process he called “Building Blocks” to manage conflict effectively.

One’s frame of reference can be changed when taking different personalities, using emotional intelligence (EQ) and acting from one’s cortex to better handle conflict and views toward the issue and person at hand, Pierce said.

“We go in with one frame of reference,” he said. “I know I did. Stepped in the military, WOOOHH! Was my frame changed!”

Different experiences, personalities, EQ and facial expressions can cause people to all react differently to one scenario, Pierce said. Not everyone comes from the same home or background.

For the many different types of people in this world to coexist in peace, some steps must be taken mentally before approaching an issue or subject matter, Pierce said. But with those steps in mind, any conflict is manageable.